Twisted dovetail template generator test

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blocklayer

Reaction score
Hi
I wrote a web application that generates dovetail templates here
http://www.blocklayer.com/Woodjoints/DovetailEng.aspx
and now I've had a go at a twisted dovetail template generator, but as I'm away from home, (and a blocklayer), with no wood or tools, there's no way I can test it to see if it's set up correctly. Twisted dovetails can be confusing to try and work out in your head, or on paper. So, if anyone who knows about these dovetails could take a look at my test app, and let me know if, how and where I've stuffed up, I'd appreciate it.
The test app is here
http://www.blocklayer.com/Woodjoints/DovetailTwistEng.aspx

Thanks for any feedback.

I take it twisted dovetails aren't all that popular round here. Anyway, I used the templates to make one out of polystyrene and a bread knife and it fits together ok. And also added different colours to the pieces and a drawing of the assembled joint to make it clearer. I'd still like to know from a real woodworker if it's useable though.
DovetailTwist.gif

It looks like it could, or should would, work. I punched in a few numbers and printed out the result. It only sets out pins/tails at either edge of the wood and leaves a large blank space in the middle. The thickness of the printed lines may lead to discrepancies too.

I couldn't see me using the calculating programme you've devised as I'm pretty sure I'll always prefer to make up my own arrangement which could be as regular, irregular, or as varied as I'd want it to be.

It could be a useful tool for beginners to the joint to get the hang of the marking. Where there are those, like myself, that already know how to execute the joint then I suspect they are also likely to prefer to devise their own layout. Slainte.

Latest posts

Back