'Turning' suppliers in t'North

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil Dyball

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Our eldest has finally flown the nest and got himself a job at a nuclear power station near Lancaster, (Heysham?). Having been gone now for over a fortnight (!) SWMBO wants to go visit him in the near future - despite the fact that he was at uni in Herts. for four years with barely a visit.

So, if I'm trekking up from Suffolk to Lancs. then I would like to make the most of it and call in at a decent woodturners supplier or two.... which begs the question of who/where they are in that part of the world.

Any info gratefully received.

Cheers,

Neil.

If you decided to go north up the A1 to the M62 before heading west, you could call in at Turners Retreat as it's only 5 minutes from the Bawtry roundabout

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I'm not sure if we'll go up via the A1(M) or M6.

Anyone know if John Boddy's is worth a look should we be passing?

Thanks,

Neil.

hey small world - my father in law in principal fuel route engineer at heysham two ( I have no idea what that means - I like to imagine him in a homer simpson type roll)

we go to heysham quite a bit but i'm not aware of any woodturning suppliers close by - there is a nice chainsaw shop in bolton le sands - and a very good bookshop in carnforth tho.

mind you coming from suffolkk you could probably make only a small detour to go through nuneaton and visit the new axminster.

oh btw watch out for speed traps on the heysham bypass - it is stupidly limited to 50mph which everyone ignores and locals drive at about 70 but tallivans and meanies like to hang out on the bend after the overton roundabout where you cant see them until you are right on top of them.

and dont try to go through lancaster in the rush hour - in fact for preference dont go through lancaster at all except in the middle of the night - if you hit the area at rush hour times go up to J35 then allong morecambe front.

Thanks to all for the info, much more useful than AA route planner or my satnav! I'll have to plan my detours now so they look accidental.

Cheers,

Neil.

good luck up in that there north. I heard they're still pointing to the moon..... ? :lol:

wizer":22u8mp71 said:
good luck up in that there north. I heard they're still pointing to the moon..... ? :lol:

and staring at traffic lights :lol: (which might explain the godawful congestion in lancaster :lol: )

Jenx":3l0afw7s said:
Ha ha ha ...... you Southerners are but a few microns away from comments about Shandy Drinkin' Puffs, I would Imagine ! ...
:D :D :D :D

8) :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

at least we dont need handles (or should that be 'andles) on our beer glasses ;)

I would agree that Snaintons is worth a trip, but when it's well on the way to the east coast, it's hardly "on the way" to the north west! I'd also agree that Boddy's isn't worth a special detour - I've got some stuff from there but tend to come away disappointed at what they had on offer, where as Snainton I often feel I have to resist just another couple of planks/bowl blanks/toys ...

Forgot to suggest that, having paused at Turners Retreat south of Doncaster as a brief step off the A1, you could also do worse than a short detour off the M62 at J27 down the A62 into Birstall ... ASK Tools ... Russell is often around these forums too ...

big soft moose":30jtddfe said:
wizer":30jtddfe said:

and staring at traffic lights :lol: (which might explain the godawful congestion in lancaster :lol: )

As far as I am concerned Lancaster is in the Midlands and anywhere South of the Roman Wall is a bit suspect. :wink: :lol:

Brittleheart":32dctjie said:
big soft moose":32dctjie said:
wizer":32dctjie said:

As far as I am concerned Lancaster is in the Midlands and anywhere South of the Roman Wall is a bit suspect. :wink: :lol:

would that be the antonine or hadrians wall ? ;)

Neil -

You could always pop in to my workshop, about 5 miles south of Lancaster and just off J33 M6 - I've got various blanks in stock and some large ripple ash stuff coming on nicely. I'd even get you a cuppa....+ I'm not really a northerner - I'm an economic migrant from Berkshire!

Chris.

big soft moose":2qdo4qfr said:
Brittleheart":2qdo4qfr said:
big soft moose":2qdo4qfr said:
wizer":2qdo4qfr said:

would that be the antonine or hadrians wall ? ;)

Hadrian's, the Antonine wall wasn't so much a wall as a long pile of turf. :roll:

Back