Turning Perspex?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyPixie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello folks
I've sketched out an idea for two shallow bowls (c. 200mm dia.) to be joined together at the open ends which would incorporate a Perspex ring at the joint. I suspect I'll be using a proprietary epoxy adhesive but my question is has anyone turned Perspex? What sort of speed? What sort of tool? Abrasive grades? Finishes? At the moment I'd just be guessing so any advice or suggestions would be gratefully received.
Thanks in advance
Steve

Morning, Happypixy,
I have a manual for working perspex, so try googling,theplasticshop.co.uk or phone them on 0800 321 3085.
This is a very useful book.
Frank S.

I have turned a little and machined more of the extruded acrylic to make masters for making silicone moulds for pen blanks. What has been said about extruded being softer and harder to work is true. I use cooking oil either applied with an acid brush or the spray cooking oil as a lubricant. They still need buffing afterward to bring up a high shine. Bonnie Klein uses WD40 and cast acrylic to make small ornamental boxes that are, if I recall correctly, not polished. The insides are not at least. They are as made from the cutter. A picture attached of some. I have the blue one. :D

Pete

Attachments

• P9170018b.jpg
    P9170018b.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 1,166
I've turned Lexan (a polycarbonate) to make a zero clearance insert for my bandsaw. It required of course to be truelt round but also a small step on the underside so it would sit flush with the b/s table.
The step was done with a skew and a 6mm parting chisel, turning it to round was initially done with a roughing gouge on its side (for the flat) but this proved a bit... grabby and ruined the first attempt when coming down to the exact size I required.
The second attempt was taken down the same way but finished to size by skew.
I used 800 Wet/Dry to give a buffed non-glare finished.

Turn perspex with your normal woodturning tools and try and get the best finish you can straight from the tool. Start sanding with the finest grade that you can and then work through the grits I used the Axminster sanding pads, making sure to sand the wood and acrylic at the same time.

This pen set is made from wood and 3 different coloured acrylics, not quite on the same scale

RAFpenset1.jpg

Latest posts

Back