Turning green

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hornbeam

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just acquired some fresh oak rounds approximately 40cm diameter X 25cm.
What is the best way to minimise splitting. I was planning on cutting into quarters and then rough turning each quarter. That way I will have removed most of the heart
As I will be making these into deeper vase type objects, Is it still best to rough turn to the approx final shape but thicker wall or would just turning to a cylinder be OK. Part turned pieces will be stored in newspaper and shavings
Thanks for advice
Ian

Rough out a good chunk leaving plenty spare for movement during drying, at least I think that's the way to go :)

If your going to have several pieces, I’d be tempted to rough turn half to final shape, the other half just turn to cylinder.

I always thought you'd need to seal the ends when turning green anyway. That's what I've always done, but am starting to wonder if this step is unnecessary now...

Seal them up till rough turned to be on the safe side Doris, won't do any harm and may do some good :) I dunk mine in a old roasting tray half filled with remnants from old candles, my local supply ended when the Vicar retired . Lucky for me my wife has a thing for scented candles so still enough for my needs .

I have just acquired some fresh oak rounds approximately 40cm diameter X 25cm.
What is the best way to minimise splitting. I was planning on cutting into quarters and then rough turning each quarter. That way I will have removed most of the heart
As I will be making these into deeper vase type objects, Is it still best to rough turn to the approx final shape but thicker wall or would just turning to a cylinder be OK. Part turned pieces will be stored in newspaper and shavings
Thanks for advice
Ian
Check out 'as wood turns' on YouTube, he recently did a video showing how to divide an ugly bit of wood into several usable pieces

Split down middle. Keep them as long as possible, seal ends with paint/pva/ wax, until ready to rough out.
When roughing, leave about 10% thicker walls than want, as they will distort. Weigh them after roughing and leave in damp shavings. Weigh every few months. When weight stable, should be dry enough to finish turn.

OR, turn to completion on one session, ensure walls are thin, step back and watch it distort in front of you!
Michael O'Donnell 'turning green wood' is a great source of info

Back