Turning Elm

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianedge

Established Member
Reaction score
what is elm like to turn, I have my eye on some that is coming up for auction, 80mm x 150mm 3m lengths looks like a bargain, there is plenty of other timber to choose from if I don't go for the elm though

Thanks Brian, I will have a look , is there much difference between native, European and American elm as there are all 3 in the auction, it is too far to go for a look so all online

Elm is lovely to turn and has a really nice smell when cutting. You can get a lovely shine right off the tools. I have some lovely boards I got from my local supplier, which will appear as part of a top secret project once I'm fully fit again. I even have some that's lightly spalted, and other boards are partly burred. Really beautiful.

Beautiful wood to turn in all its variations, just take care if it is old and well dried that little critters have not started to lunch on it.

It's unlikely that there is much difference between the species, it was one of the reasons cited as a difficulty in combating Dutch Elm disease, the lack of genetic variation in Elms worldwide, as such it is hard to try and breed for any resistance. I seem to remember reading as much many years ago now.

Thanks everyone, will keep an eye on the lots up for sale and have a bid or three may be stocking up on some turning blanks too as there are job lots going cheap at the moment

Back