turning a square bowl round

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctb

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is the Eucalyptus bowl that I was originally going to make with a square flat top, but whilst turning it decided that I didn't like the look and chopped the wings off, this is the result.

Bowl dims :- 10 diameter x 2 1/2 inches deep

L1000335_edited-1.jpg

L1000334_edited-1.jpg

Comments / Criticism welcomed

Cheers Chris

I wish my eucalyptus had a grain like that, It's beautiful. I have access to loads of the stuff, all homegrown and plain.

Like the beadings on it.

Pete

CHJ":1cfr9i0z said:
Great figuring, is there much residual aroma left in the wood?

No there is no aroma in the wood, I don't know how long it has been left to season, but it is very very hard, very very dusty, and very very fine saw dust results.

Lovely piece but since you asked for comments/criticism...

the top view looks good with the second bead but to me the side view doesn't quite work. With the figuring that the wood has I think that the second bead is too distracting. Also , the vertical-ish section underneath the beads really isn't to my taste - the change in direction is a too sudden.
With such a beautiful piece of wood I'd have used a single flowing curve from the first bead down to the foot.

Duncan

Nice one Duncan, many thanks,

You hit the nail on head when you said "to me" beauty is in the eye of the beerholder, but seriously, it does look better in the flesh or wood as the case may be, but I take your criticism on board, many thanks for commenting

Chris

Chris,

Just as everybody else has said, that really is a stunning piece of timber.

Pete - given your comment, presumably not all eucalyptus looks anyhting like as good as that. I've never used any myself.

Cheers,

Dod

Back