Turning 2 ,plus Chuck question ???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Here is turning 2 , a pen holder for my eldest to use at work

its not finished yet , think I will roll the top edge , some sanding to do and seal and polish

started out from this

IMG_1138.jpg

and currently looks like this

IMG_1140.jpg

The chuck question is this , If I tighten the chuck it marks the wood :(

If I dont tighten it so much , It comes loose :shock:

any cure for this :?:

Glad you asked that, I have just found that out. I have a couple of pieces that I was going to finish off when my chuck arrived. My solution seems to be to make a doughnut chuck which will work, or use a glue block. Could you do the latter with yours?

Pete

The piece of timber in the jaws should be regarded as sacrificial.

Once nearly complete, part off the job, and either make a jam chuck or use button jaws to reverse the work and finish the bottom.

Have a search on the forum and there will be plenty of detail on both the above I am sure.

If you are mounting on a dovetail socket the the jaw marks should be minimal and unnoticeable when removed.

Make sure that the socket is sized to match the optimum diameter of the jaws and the correct angle.(15deg?)

If you are mounting on a spigot, again make sure the spigot is sized to match the optimum diameter of the jaws.

If you can locate suitable jaws for your chuck you can use a rounded profile such as These which may not mark so easily due to the increased area of contact if the profile is correct.

Alternate is to reverse mount the item in cole jaws, jam chuck or similar and clean-up or clean-off the spigot like this.
DSC01888%20(Small).JPG

In most instances if the angle of the dovetail (15deg?) is correct, and the diameter is correct then marking should be minimal to non excitant.

Hello Blister.
Lokks another useful item :)
At the moment i just use a jam chuck.
Just take your time and make sure it's a nice sqeeky tight fit,but not too tight as to split the work :wink:
Paul.J.

Back