Turned Travel Mugs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

=Adam=

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

Has anyone turned any wooden travel mugs? I have seen some videos on youtube about them and they look great!

Im just after some advice/tips from anyone that has done them!

Capt Eddie has a video where he uses some cheap ones from Wal Mart (asda to you and me). I think I will pick one up and give it ago!

Here is the vid for anyone that is interested!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBhuGc0pXZo

Thanks for looking!

I've seen the video and quite fancy trying it, but need to get a lot better first....
I've seen the travel mugs for a couple of quid, so nothing likely to break the bank. My approach would be to hollow the cup first keeping nice thick walls, and get a good fit on the insert, then work on the outside.
Been a while since I saw the vid, but as usual Cap'n Eddie made it look dead easy.

Evening,

I tried it with a plastic insert once. The limiting factor was the way the lid fitted, so there wasn't a tidy rim as you see on Capn eddy's vid. I've wanted to make one with the same style of insert as he uses but haven't got around to it yet.

Good luck finding a cheap metal insert. I looked online and in local shops (Asda, Tesco, Range, DIYs etc) and the only mug that I could see that fitted the purpose was a Thermos Mercury at around £7 each. I bought a couple but have been using them so haven't gotten around to turning the outer yet.

Off topic, but perhaps of interest, my experience of these mugs is they are pants and the worst I have had. Drinks are warm for no longer than an hour but to be fair exactly as stated on the label. Shame as previous mugs have been almost twice as long.

Hope this helps

Chris

I have found a potential winner for the stainless mugs!

eBay no : 150679920906

£4 a pop so not too cheap but not going to break the bank either! And they look very similar to capt eddies!

I have found a cheap supplier on eBay that is doing the plastic ones for £2.50 each or 4 for 7.50 which works out at 1.87 each! Not sure on the quality but they may be worth a look too!

Also..... B&M sell some which are similar to the cheaper eBay ones for 99p! Not sure what they are like because they were online but they look ok!

I bought some blo from them the other day for £2.50 for 500ml when b&q wanted £5!

B&M is a discount shop such as home bargains or pound stretcher but has larger stores and generally stocks quite a lot of DIY bits and bobs!

i spied a B&N when driving through Coleraine yesterday. nipped in and picked up 2 stainless steel versions for £3, and 1 plastic one for £1. seem like they could do a nice job.

Well done spiffy! I am going to pick some up also! I ordered a stainless one from eBay on Friday but I may pick some up in b&m if they have some for £3!

I got a plastic exterior one with stainless interior for £1.99 today. Comes apart really easily. If it turns out OK, it might be something else to add to the christmas gift list

I picked up the exact same ones for £1.99 and they look pretty decent! I got 5 so I can make some Christmas gifts! Let's hope they turn out ok!

Back