Turned cherry wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jammie*dodger

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a few bits that i've turned from cherry. There are a few problems though. I keep getting some tear out on the wood. Is this a case of the tools not being sharp enough or me running the lathe at the wrong speed?

3665743250_1d46dcfff7.jpg

The two lighter ones have had no finish applied. The spalted one was part of a trunk that split badly. The box was a branch section.

The darker one was a branch section that was given a danish oil finish and then buffed. I'm not happy with the colour TBH and would have preffered a glossy finish. I'd like to use a hard wearing laquer or similar. can anyone suggest something?

Cheers, Rob.

tear out is normally a mixture of incorrect technique and tool sharpness but some woods are just a sod for it anyway.

as for a laquer finish how about chestnuts acrylic spray laquer? satin or gloss finish- can also be supplied (at a very competitive price) by our very own all round good guy richard findley :D

cornucopia":3tbgh3nq said:
tear out is normally a mixture of incorrect technique and tool sharpness but some woods are just a sod for it anyway.

as for a laquer finish how about chestnuts acrylic spray laquer? satin or gloss finish- can also be supplied (at a very competitive price) by our very own all round good guy richard findley :D

I can recommend him as well...very competitive price wise, does PayPal and prompt delivery :lol:

Pete

Back