Tuffsaws...again!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi43

Established Member
Reaction score
Most people here know about Tuffsaws and the large number of threads that praise the quality and service that Ian provides when supplying saw blades for your bandsaw.

I know I transformed my little DeWalt when I woke up and took the recommendation of many here and re-shoed mine with Tuffsaw blades...it turned it from a good little machine to a fantastic workhorse...literally overnight.

Lately I have been discussing the various blades available for a project I am working on, with Ian and I have to tell you...what that guy does not know about blades, simply ain't worth knowing....and he even provided me with some samples to test.

So once again, and with no fear of repetition...a HUGE thank you to Ian at Tuffsaws for his kindness and vast expertise. We are truly blessed here at UKW to have a number of suppliers who go that extra mile for us...whose products are tried and tested and second to none and whose management are both members and expert ones at that!

Bravo! =D> =D> =D>

Jim

Just bought a couple more blades from Ian - yep top guy and top blades!

Dave

In the interests of balance i have just bought some from my Saw doctor and they also have been great :D

cheers

Jon

jimi43":3ivbz9i6 said:
I know I transformed my little DeWalt when I woke up and took the recommendation of many here and re-shoed mine with Tuffsaw blades...it turned it from a good little machine to a fantastic workhorse...literally overnight.
I've got a Scheppach bandsaw with it's original manufacturer supplied blade. I suspect a better blade would improve it, but what sort of improvement should I expect? How does it make the improvement? What should I see for it?

Stoday":1jg7bk8z said:
jimi43":1jg7bk8z said:
I've got a Scheppach bandsaw with it's original manufacturer supplied blade. I suspect a better blade would improve it, but what sort of improvement should I expect? How does it make the improvement? What should I see for it?

There are a number of things that a good supplier will do to create a good blade over a mediocre one.

Having spoken to Ian this week I think he knows his stuff where the selection of quality steel is concerned. There are a number of materials which can be selected and each has its own merits...depending on application.

Then there is the selection of the teeth pattern for the job(s) in hand. Most amateurs use a bandsaw for a number of purposes and some blades cope well with this variety...others concentrate on ripping or crosscutting and the selection of tooth configuration to optimise for these roles is key.

Then comes the fabrication of the band itself. The stock having been selected, has to be joined...and it is down to the skill of the person who joins the length into a band that is important. Typically the join should be aligned with no back or front overhang. The teeth should be contiguous...seemless...without jumps or missing teeth. The weld should be strong...ground on the sides AND the back otherwise you will get clicking and potential damage to the thrust bearing and blade guides.

And finally...and perhaps most importantly...is customer service. The first time I wanted a Tuffsaw blade I emailed Ian and described what I wanted to do and he recommended a number of options which would be best for me....and if you do a search on Tuffsaws...you will find that the aftercare is equally perfect.

The result is a blade that lasts much longer than stock blades...does the job for which it is intended...cuts in a straight line or follows a guided curve effortlessly. In short...you want to use the saw instead of struggle everytime you use it!

Does that help?

Jim

Indeed - the weld is mega-important. Ideally, the guides will not see the weld at all. And that is no small ask - consistent thickness, perfect alignment sides and back. Only then can you set the guides as close as they need to be to get the best possible cut.
So Stoday - try one good blade and see the difference. Many people say that the supplied blades (no matter who the manufacturer is) let the machine down - it's true in my experience.
I think it is also true that a great blade will always make an OK machine into a far better one, whether that is a table saw, router... anything designed to cut.

Latest posts

Back