Trying to raise ash grain.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_87

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to raise the grain of some ash but it isn't playing ball. I sanded it to 120 grit, wet a rag with water and generously wiped it on, left it to dry over night and have reapplied water 3 more times but the grain has barely risen. Am I missing something or doing something wrong? Cheers.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

If you raise it as described, then sand it back, it isn't going to retaliate itself with a water based stain etc. the last time I did ash it was easy enough but maybe some doesn't raise as much as others.

If you are trying to raise the grain to re flatten it prior to applying a finish I would say you have done that so just sand it back and continue your finishing, or are you trying to open up the grain for a black Ash or limed open grain effect? if so then you need to use a wire brush after sanding to remove the soft spring growth and leave the harder summer timber to produce a textured grain effect.
Peter

Thanks, am trying to open it up for a black grain effect. Will wait for it to dry then have a go with a wire brush. Would a stain or paint be best for this? Cheers

dave_87":3eaizpvt said:
Thanks, am trying to open it up for a black grain effect. Will wait for it to dry then have a go with a wire brush. Would a stain or paint be best for this? Cheers

I would go for a stain either water or spirit based, you need a deep dark grab into the timber not that I have ever produced Black Ash. Try this http://www.finneyswoodfinishes.co.uk/ad ... inish.html
Cheers Peter

have you got a spare piece to try this on it, i have done beams and mantle tops this way, get a blow torch and burn it a little , then wirebrush it and sand it . maybe there is something on youtube that will show you what it can look like.

Peter Sefton":1oqzjqil said:
dave_87":1oqzjqil said:

I would go for a stain either water or spirit based, you need a deep dark grab into the timber not that I have ever produced Black Ash. Try this http://www.finneyswoodfinishes.co.uk/ad ... inish.html
Cheers Peter

Bob the polisher was in last weekend running a French polishing course for me, one of the students did a black Oak finish using a blue spirit stain followed by Van Dyck Crystals it worked a treat to a very deep black.
Peter

Latest posts

Back