Trump Brothers power saw restoration wip - now working!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks BB - that's such a useful site it deserves mentioning from time to time.
I really like the way you can go from one patent to others in the same category, discovering forgotten ingenuity at every step. There are 349 entries under 'scrollsaws' alone!

Hello, I too have found a trump brother's scroll saw... it seems to have several extra pulleys and is missing the pivoting table. I see your's has one and was wondering if you could provide some dimensions so that I might make one out of wood as I work to get my saw operational?

amphidory":t6ly1xqe said:
Hello, I too have found a trump brother's scroll saw... it seems to have several extra pulleys and is missing the pivoting table. I see your's has one and was wondering if you could provide some dimensions so that I might make one out of wood as I work to get my saw operational?

Welcome to the forum - I'm happy to help anyone else who likes these wonderful old tools!

To answer your questions:

This is the underside of my table. As you can see, it's an iron casting with reinforcing ribs, and in my case, splints where it has been cracked and carefully mended.
The overall diameter is 11 3/8" and the thickness is 1/4". On mine there is a 1/2" hole at the centre into which you can fit a minimal clearance insert; you'll need to design something similar.

6a208c42-b6a3-40f3-af76-e07dbe978bcd_zps41e0b238.jpg

There is a cast semicircular boss about 5/8" away from the centre which is 1 7/16" wide overall and fits into a similarly shaped socket on the saw:

IMG_2960_zps8c74bf78.jpg

(Sorry that's out of focus, but I assume you have this bit!) The screw on the right hand side bears against the underside of the table so you can set it square to the blade.

In the centre of the boss there is a tapping for a fixing screw. This leans over at about 7 degrees from normal and allows you to tilt the table. It's a section of a circle of 1" radius. If you don't want the table to be tiltable, you could make the fixing of the table quite a bit simpler.

IMG_2959_zps4eb873d2.jpg

If your machine has extra pulleys on it then it sounds like you have the optional extra drilling attachment. This was driven by a second driving band, off the other groove on the big pulley. If you followed my link to the OWWM site at http://www.owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59263&p=413754 you'll have seen pictures of another saw with this and a somewhat fuzzy 1884 catalogue engraving.

Do you also have the blower attachment?
I'd really like to see some pictures of that if you do, as I fancy having a go at making one...

Thank you for the welcome to your forum and for your extremely helpful reply. the photos were incredible helpful. The only problem remains that I now have to figure out how to also make a drill. O to have more problems like this in life. I'm trying to get the saw in working order and as soon as i can reduce the size of the photos, i'll upload a few close ups of the attachment you've identified as part of an accessory for drilling. Funny how I had to go to the UK to get info about a saw that was made not far from where I live

Attachments

• saw 1.jpg
    saw 1.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 16
  • saw 2.jpg
    saw 2.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 16
That does look nice! Much better preserved paintwork than mine and the plainer option of the stand looks rather elegant.

It's hard to work out mechanical details from small photos or catalogue engravings. My assumption is that the drilling attachment had a second loop of driving band and would maybe have rotated the whole time. It must have had a little bit of vertical travel to be functional but that could have been within the limits of a leather belt staying tight enough to work.

It could be worth your while asking the posters on OWWM for more details if anyone there has a complete example.

Do keep the pictures coming!

Latest posts

Back