Triton TRB001 - 8mm collet/reducer?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrwilby

Established Member
Reaction score
Happy New Year all.

Thanks to Andy Pullen I have a Triton TRB001 router, which I intend to mount in a table once I get round to constructing it :)

I am currently using a Festool 1400 hand-held for most tasks, which initially came with an 8mm collet (I've since bought the 1/2" and 1/4" collet). Because I started out with 8mm, I've got a fair number of 8mm router cutters that I thought I would not be able to use with the Big Triton... but then whilst browsing axminster, I saw this:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=362891

Has anybody used these before to reduce from 1/2" to 8mm? I'm just wondering if they are naff or if there is a better way to achieve what I want?

TIA!

They work fine but be sure not to drop it into the router because then you have to take the router out of the table to retrieve it. This is only funny once, but if you ensure it fits the bits tight you won't have a problem.

I have one of those collet reducers, and yes it works, but I'm afraid that it doesn't inspire any confidence. A properly engineered collet reducer should have six, or maybe eight slits arranged radially (3 or 4 from each end), as is the case with the 1/4" reducer supplied with the router. Why oh why dont Triton also supply a decent 8mm reducer?

I think that Wealden tool produce a proper reducer, but I've been trying their website all night to no avail. I really hope that they haven't succumbed to the problems that so many companies face these days [-o< [-o<

Cheers
Aled

Wealdons seem to be ok still!! Got an email from them this afternoon saying that my order was in the post! So seems ok for another while!! :)

I logged on to handytools to buy this reducer today as I was given a number of 8mm cutters when I bought my T5 and thought it would be handy to be able to put them in the Triton as well. Cost £6.37, not bad I thought. Postage £7.68!!! Apparently this is standard parcel service. I can't believe it would cost more than a standard first class stamp to put in the normal mail. Yes it wont be tracked or could be damaged, but then I would order another and would still have spent less.

Yes, that put me off as well.

Axminster do sell it, but it's not on their website - you need to phone them and ask for it.

We carry the reducer in stock, part ref 477046, £5.54ex.

I'm waiting until I need something else before ordering :)

Back