Triton Oscillating Sander - My experiences!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dissolve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently took delivery of a Triton Oscilating Sander, Using it mostly for making router templates and curved is hardwood no more than 2" thick, I turned it on. and WOW this thing is loud. I'm not sure if it's meant to be this loud but mine sounds horrendous. In action, it's brilliant. for just over £100 it's powerful, a good size and more importantly, it's square (tested with some 3" hardwood)

I'm sure there are a few people on here with them, can anyone chime in with how loud their units are? I might record a clip with sound for reference because I don't want to have it replaced if it's totally normal but it really is loud.

Anyone have experience with one of these?

Sorry, I have no experience of this particular tool, but would be interested in the answer as I'm looking to buy one of these units myself soon. Others I have used in the past have not been overly loud.

:?:

Hi dissolve,

I have a Scheppach version of this sander and yes my one is loud too, loud enough that I wear ear defenders when using it and loud enough that I may upgrade to one with an induction motor that also comes under many brands. Noise aside I do agree with you that its very good at what it does.

Hi Green,

To give you an idea on noise this is one in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esBVz5dmFXE (about 6:45 mark)

I didn't realise they had a brush motor.

That's made my mind up, I'll wait until I can get the more expensive induction motored type.

That's crazy! If you take a look here:

http://www.biggersavings.co.uk/catalogu ... -Motor.php

It seems the Scheppah version now comes with an induction motor, if you watch the video, close to the end he turns it on without an extractor and that thing is damn near silent compared to mine. I still think this particular one is faulty because it sounds like it's about to blow up, but if the replacement is the same, I might see about swapping it for the scheppah model. They look identical in design but if it's that much quieter it's worth an extra £10 or so!

EDIT: Just found it at Yandles for the same price as the Triton :lol: If the replacement is still this loud I'll definitely return them for the Scheppach equivalent! In that video it certainly doesn't sound anywhere near as loud as the triton.

In case there are different models before ordering I've sent Yandles an email asking them if it's induction or brush motored.

I can tell you straight away that will NOT have an induction motor, £146 is too cheap for an induction motor bobbin sander. False advertising on the website.

Yes yandles have confirmed it's a brush motor, although they commented that their technical staff commented the brush motor in this particular bobbin sander was quieter than your average brush motor. So I'll see what the replacement triton is like and stick with it if it's any better than the first! haha

Back