Triton MOF001 with Charnwood W014 Router Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seb1982

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm in the process of setting up my first proper workshop. I'm mainly going to be making small bits of furniture (coffee tables, chests of drawers), and little boxes out of hardwoods.

I'm looking to get a router table setup. I know I should make one, but I've spent the last 2 months sorting out the garage into a workshop, and frankly I just want to get going! I was looking at the Triton MOF001. It's 1400 Watts, 2 1/4hp - it's not the biggest they make, but would I be right in thinking that this really should do unless I'm trying to route something utterly ridiculous? (Link to the Triton: http://www.tritontools.com/en-GB/Product/Power Tools/Routers/MOF001#)

As for a table, I'm rather at the cheap and cheerful end of the market at the moment, what with all my other purchases..... I saw a chap on here recommend the Xact Deluxe from Rutlands (http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodwo...table-with-switch-feather-board-kit+rtx2000k3), but I'm not convinced the insert plate is quite as sturdy as the Charnwood W014, so I was thinking I would get that, and then get a NVR switch at a later date. (Link to the Charnwood:http://www.yandles.co.uk/charnwood-w014-floorstanding-router-table/p13494)

I was just hoping people could give their thoughts as to whether this would be OK for a couple of years until I can get or build something better. My only initial concern is that I see the Triton has "Quick-fit pins for fast fitment and removal from the fence and the RTA300 Router Table" - I presume this doesn't preclude or make difficult the installation of it into a non-Triton phenolic plate?

Anyway, I'm rather hoping anyone can chip in and call me an silly person if I'm displaying any signs of being one! Thank you all very much :D

Constantly gets blocked with wood dust for me, which meant digging it out down a very small hole, the bayonet connect gets worn very quickly so buy an extra handle if you do get one.
Mike

Thanks, chaps :) Yes, I have to say the built in lift system was swinging it for me. I'm starting to veer towards shelling out a little bit more for the Triton router stand and table, actually. Seen some good reviews on YouTube. Oh well, I think I'll have to pop down to Yandles and have a bit of a play with them. It's a hard life... :mrgreen:

seb1982":2gcjami0 said:
Thanks, chaps :) Yes, I have to say the built in lift system was swinging it for me. I'm starting to veer towards shelling out a little bit more for the Triton router stand and table, actually. Seen some good reviews on YouTube. Oh well, I think I'll have to pop down to Yandles and have a bit of a play with them. It's a hard life... :mrgreen:

Put aside a lot of time to build the Triton table from the airfix kit it arrives in.

seb1982

If after you have played with one you decide to buy, contact me first I could save you a lot of cost on buying one, ready built with Triton Router and biscuit jointer.

Mike

I have run this exact setup for 12 months and to be honest, apart from the safety plunger sticking on the router, it has been faultless. I regularly use the kit to run several hundred board feet of mouldings, finger jointing timber for tabletops and precise tenon joints, no fuss, no issues.

The handle for the lift mechanism is alloy, so it pays to keep the socket clean. I use dust extraction on this setup with a dedicated powerful shop vac on the router and main dust collection on the table. Overkill? It works for me. :D :D :D

I would recommend that you get the NVR much sooner than later. Not just because, if you need to turn the router of in a panic, it'll be easier. More that it's going to get really annoying, really fast if you have to keep reaching under the table to turn the router off and on.

Back