Trinkit Box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soylent1

Established Member
Reaction score
A little trinket box I turned from a cut off from a very old and very tough oak lintel. my first attempt went a bit wrong as I got a catch while nearly finished roughing down and it actually pulled an inch long by half inch deep chip out of it revealing a dangerous crack right up to where it was screwed to the faceplate! I haven't used anything to finish yet, I might just leave it as is (any suggestions for old oak?)

C & C welcome (go gentle as it's only my fifth or sixth piece I actually completed)

Apologies for the dirty tea towel ! :roll:

Attachments

• TB01.jpg
    TB01.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 883
  • TB02.jpg
    TB02.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 883
  • TB03.jpg
    TB03.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 883
  • TB04.jpg
    TB04.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 883
Nice job. Finish for oak would not necessarily be any different than any other wood, it all depends on what you want, matt, satin or gloss.

Oak isn't very porous but a sanding sealer to start would be a good idea, then apply a wax like microcrystaline for a shiny finish (if you buff it), or fine 000 wire wool for a satin finish.

What I use is shellac applied with a rubber much in the manner of french polishing, this builds up nicely and combined with a buffing wheel can give an excellent gloss, however it's a bit of a learning curve (but definitely worth a go).

Nice looking piece, the current ''finish' appears quite nice, maybe a couple of coats of microcrystalline wax would enhance it?

Thanks to all for the comments, I think I will try some microcrystalline wax it'll give me an excuse to buy some finishing materials, as at the moment I don't have anything (except some furniture polish!)

Tony

Get sanding sealer too, and apply it first, then cut it back with either 400 grit or some 0000 wire wool (or nyweb even better) Then apply the wax, this way you'll get a super finish that will last ages.

Thanks KimG, I just bought some wax from a well known internet selling site! (got to be careful on here as I just had a post removed from the for sale section and I'm not sure why.?? big brother watching!) sanding sealer will be on order next, this turning business is starting to get expensive! I bought a lathe, and now have a good selection of sorby tools and I now need to get a chuck and finishing materials etc.. etc.. £££!

That's A nice box with great grain that runs and matches both lid and bottom in a contrasting form I agree with kims comments on a finish but do like it
regards
Bill

When I first started out, I used all sorts to finish. Everything from old candle ends and cooking oil to turtle wax.
I like shellac mixed with boiled linseed oil. Rub it in and allow it to soak for a wee while, then buff on the lathe at full pelt.
That's a nice bit of oak though. Murder for splitting sometimes, but pretty spectacular.

Keep it up.

Thats a nicely turned box which aren't the easiest pieces to do so you have done well =D>
Finish is up to what you want,but sanding sealer and woodwax22 would give a nice sheen to it,or just an oil for a more natural feel with Lemon oil on the inner to give a pleasant smell when you take the lid off.??

Thank you all for your kind comments!

I'm just waiting for sanding sealer and microcrystalline wax to arrive in the post, hopefully tomorrow so I can re attach it to the lathe - as there's still a screw hole in the bottom (no chuck and don't completely trust hot glue alone!). If all goes well I will give it a go on the weekend and put some pictures of it with a finish on! The oak is from a large lintel I had to replace at work. It is at least 300 years old as the building is that old, but It may be even older as there was evidence of it being used in something before it ended up in a house (mortices cut in ends etc..) It's the only wood I have been turning apart from practicing on some rubbish piney stuff and green oak, but I have been promised some good sized seasoned Yew logs (fingers crossed)

I do like the idea of scented oil inside so it smells nice!

Some pics of the box with Microcrystalline wax applied, the sanding sealer I ordered hasn't arrived yet, but I couldn't wait to try the wax :roll:

Attachments

• TB05.jpg
    TB05.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 209
  • TB06.jpg
    TB06.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 209
  • TB07.jpg
    TB07.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 209
Back