Tried a Shadow Pattern

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sooty

Established Member
Reaction score
Wanting to improve my basic skills at cutting before I tackle Intasia again
I had a go at cutting a shadow pattern crikey I could not believe how small the bridges are I cut through two without realizing it but it does not seem to have spoilt the overall effect.

I enjoyed cutting it out and will cut more until I feel confident using the saw.

That looks pretty god to me - well done :) ! I bet you had a few nervous moments cutting out the horse's nostril.

What sort of wood did you use? I'm guessing sycamore, but wood identification isn't my strongest suit. There seem to be a few loose fibres which could be tidied up with a needle file. That was a problem I encountered too on the one occasion I cut a shadow portrait from sycamore.

Gill

Good work.

Have you finished the wood at all? Are you going to? I don't know what the norm is with shadow portraits.

One method of finishing is to dip the whole piece in a finishing oil before fixing a backer. It works, but you need a clean rag and a paintbrush on hand to remove the excess.

Gill

Many thanks for your comments

I bet you had a few nervous moments cutting out the horse's nostril.

Yes I did! Actually I ripped it in half I looked away for a moment and it was gone? managed to stick it with superglue (clean break) and you can hardly tell.

What sort of wood did you use? I'm guessing sycamore

Its just 1/4 ply from local builders merchant he has got some with beautiful grain pattern but all his ply is full of voids

Have you finished the wood at all? Are you going to? I don't know what the norm is with shadow portraits.

Yes I gave it a coat of acrilic sanding sealer then a coat of acrylic laquer
only because I have them at hand (use them when woodturning) I dont know the norm for shadow work so they got what was on hand.

Have just finished another horse looking in opposite direction waiting for
acrylic to dry may give them to my daughter as a pair she loves horses

Again thanks for looking
Phil

Back