Tribal Kittens - great for scrollsaw patterns

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redmoorphil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Whilst browsing through photoshop brushes I came across the following and it immediately struck me that they would make great scrollsaw patterns!
The only adjustments I can see that would be necessary are the small ear on the left kitten, the nose on the middle one and the eyes on the right one.
The brushes are free and in the public domain but I have also contacted the author asking for permission to post a link on this site and she is happy for people to use them.
here is the link: http://fbrushes.com/tribal-kittehs/

Attachments

• kittens.jpg
    kittens.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 1,145
that is a great pattern indeed phil, as you say just a few adjustments and your away. I must admit its not my sort of subject but great for anyone to get to grips with.
Anyone cutting this, as well as what phil mentioned needed looking at, also be aware of the diamond in the biggest cats forehead too..

have fun..

i think I'll have a go at that, or maybe just the right hand side one. I know a couple of cat lovers who would like that for a present. Thanks for posting it and thanks to the artist.

Martin.

I had a go at the right hand side one yesterday on my new-to-me Hegner on 3mm ply with a Pegas #3 reverse blade. The unfamiliar saw and blade combination cut that quickly that I ruined it on the first cut. :lol: I was trying to cut round the top of the right ear, but I need more practice to turn that fast, it got away from me before I knew what was happening. Going to see if I can save it with some glue and sawdust and have another go, after more practice.

Martin, trying to run before I can walk.

Hi Martin,
I know exactly what you mean. I tried to cut my first proper piece on my new hegner a few days ago ( a scotty dog puzzle for my wife) and as I was finishing it just got away from me and the whole piece was ruined. I must slow the saw down and work my way to faster speeds later. Hope you manage to rescue your work, I look forward to seeing the finished result.
Phil

Hi Phil,

My saw is single speed, at 1440, which is about 450 faster than I was using on the Jet saw. It makes a hell of a difference. I don't know if I will have another go today as I had very little sleep last night - been up since 3:30 - so my nerves will be shot. :)

I've been having problems with breaking blades since I started using the Hegner. I think I am having trouble getting the correct tension with the quick tension arm. Or just possibly it might be the old new stock Eclipse blades I bought on ebay. The thinnest broke into 3 pieces as soon as I started the saw, so I obviously had that one too tight. :)

Martin.

same here, I tried to make a tight turn and before you know it the blades off somewhere else, glad there's glue and sawdust. One thing I tried, I put pressure on my LH finger, close to the blade close to where the turn was and with my right hand, quite quickly turned the whole piece, keeping pressure on my left hand finger, I thought I might break the blade, but it didn't and cut quite tightly. It needs practice as one time I ended up cutting a near perfect hole, pity the pattern didn't call for one. Oh and I waxed my table before hand.

Gary

I must be either really lucky or very talented as I have never broken a blade (I guess the former!)
I ran at full speed with my AWFS but I just didn't need the speed with the Hegner.
I also realised afterward that I had put in a number 5 blade instead of a 3 - still, we learn from our mistakes,
every day is a school day!

Latest posts

Back