Trend T5

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

underused

Reaction score
Hello all,

First post here :D
Ive been reading here for a while, and recognize a few people from Ubeaut.
Great forum here!

Ok, this is a question for trend, or anyone with a knowledge of trend.
Im thinking about buying a T5.
I emailed trend for some information, but they havent answered...
I asked them, where is the T5 manufactured, and assembled?

If anyone can answer, this I'd appreciate it :wink:
Also, how does this compare to the elu 96e? In your opinions, hows the smoothness of plunge and running of the T5.

Thanks for reading
Gary.

Hi Gary

I have a Trend T5 along with routers from Bosch and P-Pro. I find I use the Trend far more than the others because I prefer it. The Trend is simple, smooth and reliable.

Dennis

Thanks for the replies!

Where in Europe would that be Neil?

Does anyone know if there is any difference between the Mk1 & Mk2 version, apart from the switch?

Where im living, I cant get my hands on one before I buy (that goes for most tools unfortunately), so anymore experiences, knowledge of the T5 or similar routers would be appreciated.

I changed from a 96e to the Trend when the Elu finally died.

I find the plunge fine, the turret and depth stop are much the same, it seems a little less powerful than the Elu, don't know what the ratings are in comparison - but it seems less powerful.

The spindle lock is a nasty little affair, but works OK. The collet spanner is a real embarrassment of a pressed steel lump of metal, but works.

If you're hoping to use any 96e bits - the fence & rods work fine in the Trend. The collets are slightly different, though I do manage to use an 8mm Elu one and nut in the Trend. I understand conventional wisdom is to stay well clear of the model that has the power lock on it.

Chris.

I think Woodcut used to carry a lookalike model, which was made by Perles (Swiss) I presumed the Trend was a rebadged version of this, perhaps by now an 'old' Perles model?

ivan":lfi3r9mp said:
I think Woodcut used to carry a lookalike model, which was made by Perles (Swiss) I presumed the Trend was a rebadged version of this, perhaps by now an 'old' Perles model?

Yes, you are correct. But don't let the name fool you. It might be Perles of Switzerland, but the router is made in eastern europe. It is still a good quality router.

For not a lot more you could have the DW621K and then you would have, imho, the best at that price point.

Cheers
Neil

Been using a T5 for several years now (3-4) and it has been completely reliable and very nice to use.

I don't think where it's made has any impact on performance or spares -Trend have a good reputation and good spares supply chain

If I were recommending a small router to anyone, this would be it (owned/tried well over a dozen)

Thanks for the comments guys, appreciated.
So the Mk1 version is the go then?

I was considering the dw621, but nowhere stock it over here :cry:
When Im back in the uk I'll look over it. I think there is a 1/2" version of the 621 around too. worth looking at...
On the subject of DeWalt, is the 615 the same as the T5?
Thanks. Gary.

I bought a T5 from another forum member for about £60 with some nice Trend & Freud bits thrown in. At that price I'm glad to have it, but I must say I'm very under whelmed by it and I'm surprised that there have been a lot of positive reviews over the years. All I have to compare it to are my big Makita 3612C and a friend's Festool OF1400 so bear that in mind - maybe the alternatives in this size/price range are just as rubbish!

As Scrums says, the spindle lock is nasty and I find that it needs a lot of turns to tighten/release the collet. The plunge is fairly smooth but nothing special. Having to screw on the guide bushes is a pain once you've tried a router with quick-fix collets. The variable speed control dial has so little friction that I'm often finding the speed set down at one because my arm has brushed against the dial whilst getting it out of the cupboard. But my biggest gripe is the completely rubbish dust hood which just will not stay clicked in place, making it downright dangerous to use IMO. This means that I just have to do without it. The fence is the best bit. Also I quite like the plunge lock.

Unless you've found one for <£100, I would seriously consider something else. If you are paying the full £150 RRP I would look at the small Triton instead.

Cheers,
Neil

I have a T5 and a T9 and they are just great, rock solid, loads of available accessories and the spares support is great.

However if you're considering a router table then I would serious consideration to a Triton as the Trend are not as handy when slung underneath (I have my T9 there but would buy a Triton tomorrow if I was in the need for a change)

Hi Underused,

Welcome to the forum,

I am sorry that you did not get a reply to your email, this is not normal practice.

Please let me know which email address you have sent it to/from via a Private Message,

Just to clarify, the Trend T5 is most likely the nearest equivalent to the MOF96E that you may find as Trend brought Elu to the UK in 1955 and introduced the T5 as an alternative when the 96E was dropped during the changeover to Dewalt.

HTH

andy@trend

Hi Neil,

I find that it needs a lot of turns to tighten/release the collet.

In actual fact this is a safety feature of better multi slit collets IIRC. The need to undo with the spanner, then unwind a few turns, then get the spanner on again to finally loosen acts as a double lock to prevent the cutter from flying out inadvertently.

Andy

Actually Andy I found that the De Walt 615 router is a closer clone of the old Elu MOF96 compared with the Trend T5. I own all three and find the T5 is a rather cheaper version of it. On the shaft the spindle lock is the same as the old 96 and the plunge action is much smoother on the De Walt. I guess it is down to costings as most things are nowadays. I have to admit apart from my old Elu 96 the next 1/4" router I always reach for is the De Walt. Pity Elu are no longer available really, Oh well that is progress. :wink:

mailee":3gkn966d said:
Actually Andy I found that the De Walt 615 router is a closer clone of the old Elu MOF96 compared with the Trend T5.

Hi Mailee, I wondered this... I see its about the same price. Does it come with the same fence, or is it an optional extra?

I still havent heard from Trend, so its put me off somewhat.
Pm sent Andy@trend
Thanks.

Hi Underused, It does come with the aluminium fence although it doesn't have the micro adjuster, well at least that is how mine arrived. :wink:

andy king":4f3h8adg said:
In actual fact this is a safety feature of better multi slit collets IIRC. The need to undo with the spanner, then unwind a few turns, then get the spanner on again to finally loosen acts as a double lock to prevent the cutter from flying out inadvertently.
Hi Andy,

Sorry, I didn't write this very clearly. Its not the number of turns between the two locks (the Makita I have has this type of collet tool) its the number of turns once you get to the final lock point - the Makita needs maybe 1/2 turn, the Trend needs at least 2. Its possible that the collet is faulty as the original owner had a Trend craft range bit which falls out of the collet :shock: although all my other 1/4" bits seem fine.

Cheers,
Neil

Hi Neil,

Could be that the collet is a little worn?
It may be that overtightening over a course of time may have mishapen it. (not that i'm saying you overtighten!) or if the cutters aren't inserted far enough they can also become mishapen.
As an aside, I used to work with a bloke who who was paranoid that the spanner supplied with tools or machines was never going to apply enough pressure, despite the fact that the length of spanner should be enough to apply the necessary torque. I've seen him with tubes on the ends of them to make sure they were tight, and even a short length of scaffold bar on a spindle moulder spanner!
Mind you, he also used to drill out the holes in jiffy (joist) hangers and drive 3inch nails in, clinching them over at the back because he said the short galvanised ones recommended by the manufacturers were never going to hold - I could go on...

Andy

Back