trend or powercap or what?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bill,that is exactly what happend to me last month. the cause was,

COCOBOLO

yes i am 100% sure cos all i was turning was cocobolo. the iching and scratching went away after a week, using nivea moisture cream ( and dont bloody laugh ) hope this helps you.[/quote]

Hi Colin,
I think its more a general reaction but dont know for sure.
It cant be cocobolo as i've not turned any that I know of but it could of course be some other wood.
Hopefully the respirator will do the trick when I decide which one to go for.
regards,Bill

HI

Just to let you know Trend are selling the Pro for £169 inc VAT at Stonleigh.

I am now the owner of one, it feels a bit strange but I am sure I will get use to it pretty quickly. :D

john

No I had the Racal one which was past its sell by date, by several years.

The Trend fells OK the weight is a bit more but it is evenly spread over the head. The odd bit is the face seal, or skirt, which is elasticated and fits from the back of the head round each side over the top and in front of the ears then down and under the chin.

It does have the advantage of completelly sealing you from the dust and I think I will get used to it very quickly.

I also brought the Monro hollower as we were talking about.

john

Yes I had a look at a few.

Woodcut, Phil Irons, have a good one but has shades of one of others which I cant remember the name off, and I had tried before but didnt like as it cloged up easily.

There were a couple of others there but the Munro was the best, Mark and Les let me have a play and it was easy to use, safe in operation and removed wood easily without cloging up.

I went for the small one for the moment and will get the bigger one as well if I need it, which I prpbably will. :lol:

john

The Powercap seal on the one I sampled had about 1cm clearance around my face and chin, one of the reasons for the TH 1 P rating I suspect.

Funnily enough the cap/visor does not carry any rating marks (at least the one I had access to didn't) just the filter cartridges.

Went to Stoneleigh yesterday mainly with the purpose of buying the Trend airshield.
Trend had them at what appeared to be a good price and a demo model was available to try.
Glad I 'tried before I buyed',,,it was way too heavy for me! I couldn't get it to balance properly, the skirt thing seemed like a very cheap afterthought and it was a pain to use.
I also managed to fog it with the fan running !
I reckon that any more than a few minutes use would prove extremely uncomfortable.
To stop it slipping forward when I tilted my head, I had to tighten the headband so much that it again became too uncomfortable to keep on.
I didn't buy it, so its back to the drawing board for me and I recommend that Trend do likewise as I think they got it wrong with this one.

Good show yesterday, pity Aircap werent there.
regards, Bill

beejay":2viftq9s said:
......To stop it slipping forward when I tilted my head, I had to tighten the headband so much that it again became too uncomfortable to keep on.

Bill, did you adjust the crown band as well as the head band? I found that you had to get the balance right between the two to get a comfortable fit, although no amount of adjustments could dampen the 'pendulum' effect if you tilt your head.

I agree on the weight problem and eagerly await the efforts to try and find an alternate that does not require an even bigger mortgage.

I personally disagree on the face/scalp skirt though, I found it a big improvement over the original Trend and despite its lightweight fabric appearance quite tough, certainly a big advantage over the original Trend and the Powercap skirt in that being smooth plastic it does not collect and hold onto wood chippings.

Bill i have to agree with you about the Airshield.
I too finally got to try it on today,tried all roads to get it comfy without it falling forwards but just couldn't get it to fit comfy enough.
I do like the new skirt underneath and the overall design but it is just too heavy :(
Also felt there was not so much room behind the visor as the old version.
Whether it would be something that you would get used to after a while i'm not sure.The old one did feel more comfy when i first put it on.
The chap from Trend said it was designed by the designers who design the fighter pilot helmets.
I think they ought to get back to the drawing board/computer and come up with the Mk 3.
I won't be buying one :(

I am also in a real quandary with this. I tried both the trend and the power cap at the Birmingham bash and for various reasons didn't like either. I really ought to be looking to getting something but there doesn't seem to be all that many on the market apart from these two. There is a more simple and cheaper mask from Trend but I haven't seen it in the flesh and it isn't powered in any way. I guess I'll have to carry on with a visor and a disposable for the moment.

Pete

Hi guys,
I wouldn't mind trying the Cap at some point so I may pop into my local Screwfix aned see if they'll let me. I think however the general concensus is that its not as good as the Trend in some ways.
Putting the best of both into another version seems the way to go.
Anyone out there listening
I have the mini Trend Pete, the Airace, and its really very good and quite effective. I do wear it all the time now in the workshop and will continue to do so until I get "whatever".
It seems to stop all the dust but after about an hour the rubber face seal does get quite tight and needs to be slackened off a bit, but thats a good reason to have a break anyhow.
A very good mask and a good buy in my opinion.
So what y'all buy at the show guys :D
regards, Bill

Have been watching this thread with great interest but the comments only echo my earlier thoughts on the dust masks that are around, that are also on sale at a reasonable price.

My thoughts are that the only way to go is to have a light weight mask, with the motor and batteries on a belt pack. There are some around, but are very expensive.

Although I find that the way everyone is chasing a dust mask feels a little like a case of tunnel vision. I realise there are some who are badly effected by wood dust, but is not the best initial idea to get the dust out of the work area. Otherwise it is going to be a permanently contaminated area, to which you eventually won't have access without a mask.

Until I find a powered mask that is really comfortable I am continuing along my route of removing the dust out of the work area. i.e ambient dust collectors, extractor fans to the outside, and so on. I do still wear a small dust mask when working, and touch wood to date I have had no problems. My latest project, when I can find the time, :( is to try and construct a cyclone dust collector using the fan motor of my large chip extractor, and fitted with a very efficient filter system.

Tam, I fully go along with your "removing the dust out of the work area" to this end I have high volume chip/dust extraction and ambient air dump via a 9" ventaxia, unfortunately I am one of those people that is violently allergic to some dusts and even ambient air cleaners can't get it quick enough, like hay fever sufferers it's the stuff you can't see that gets me.

The search continues to try and find a mask that is significantly better than the old Trend but is not either a pain to live with (the new Trend IMO)or cost as much as a good many members lathes.

As there seems to be quite an interest in the Respirator saga I have put some additional information in PDF formon my server about the specs. of the Powercap and the New Trend Pro that I retrieved from their respective information leaflets and my observations whilst carrying out a recent trial of both.

I must state that any opinions expressed are purely my own but to the best of my knowledge any details/specs. quoted are correct.

Just makes you wonder how the new Airshield was tested for head fitting and comfort.
JPT.You will have to let us know how you get on with it after a period of use.If it does get better with use.

Will do Paul.

I have a lot of stuff to turn after a very good show weekend so I think I will be living in it for the next couple of weeks so I will let you know how I get on.

Hopefully I will find time to play with the monro this week as well. :D

john

Latest posts

Back