trend or powercap or what?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beejay

Established Member
Reaction score
Im about to buy one of the above but don't know for sure which to go for.
I saw a mix of Powercaps and Trends at the bash on Saturday and those are the two brands that I think it will come down to.
Is there a comparison/review of the two current models anywhere? Ive googled without success.
Trend airshield pro and the Powercap with built in batteries are the two I'm thinking about unless of course anyone can suggest something else.
Its down to weight, battery time and of course, the best filtration.
Hope someone can assist.
regards,beejay

We were discussing this at the bash on Saurday and I think the general conclusion was that the Trend, though more expensive was the better buy. The Power cap is smaller and as a sppectackle wearer I found it too narrow and awkward. Also the Trend has a better rating for dust protection. Possibly Chas, who has reviewed them both, will come on with more technical details. There are other options as well mind which perhaps someone will come on and explain

Pete

I believe Nick Gibbs is doing an article on them both in the next issue [No.o8,] of British Woodworking involving their use for turning and general workshop tasks such as routing and the more esoteric power carvers, so it might be worth hanging back on any decisions for a couple of weeks to see what the users preferences were.

I was at the same stage.

After Saturday I've pretty much decided I'm going to get the Trend one.

Will most likely leave it until the Stoneleigh show in the hope they might be discounted.

Hello Bill.
Having tried Chris's Powercap Saturday,which i liked it's lightness i now know that it would be no good for me,the face guard is too narrow for me,so i will stick with the Trend.
The new Trend is a lot beter design,but it is heavier for some reason :?

Thank you all for the replies.
I like the idea of the Powercap because of the light weight but I too wear glasses in the workshop and this appears to be a problem with this one.
I actually heard Pete comment on this point at the bash.
Mind you Pete with all that hair as well I think you'd need a space helmet to accomodate you :lol:
I like the look of the Trend but the weight could be an issue over long periods of use.
I think like Lurker I'll check the Trend out at Stoneleigh and try it on at laest before I decide.
Thanks again for the replies.
regards, Bill

Don't forget that Trend have stopped making this model now,so spares for it will soon become scarce.

Here is a previous thread about it.
HTH Bill.

Out of interest - what advantage do these two have over a normal dust mask with replaceable filters and a pair of goggles or safety specs?

I would be interested as I use a 3M 7503 reusable mask with normal specs which costs me about £25 total. I've always looked at the Trend (amongst others) and wondered if its really necessary?

Hi Lurker,
Thats the original model which is now discontinued I think. I also read that the parts for that won't be avialable for much longer.
Pity as the price is very good.
regards, Bill

Mike Bremner":3fp8x560 said:
Out of interest - what advantage do these two have over a normal dust mask with replaceable filters and a pair of goggles or safety specs?

I would be interested as I use a 3M 7503 reusable mask with normal specs which costs me about £25 total. I've always looked at the Trend (amongst others) and wondered if its really necessary?

Hi Mike,
I also use dust mask and glasses but a few days before the brummie bash I had to go to the Doc's as I was having serious breathing problems as well as itching in my nose, ears, eyse and scalp!!! thought the worst.
Turns out Ive got an allergy to something but they dont know what . I reckon my workshop is the root cause ( either that or too much sex maybe?) although I use the Microclene and dust extraction and dust masks etc.
I now want to be as safe as possible so the Trend type mask seems to be the way forward. Ive also had a new outward opening door fitted to the workshop so this should improve the circulation as well. The old inward opening door couldnt be left open due to space restrictions.
I gotta say when you have to fight for breath its a bit worrying :shock: so a couple of hundred for a decent mask seems a no brainer now.
Only wish Id gone for one before.
Regards, Bill

Mike Bremner":q8d8tvpp said:

The Filtered Positive Pressure Air around the face, and in the case of the new Trend around the scalp area as well, provides considerably more comfort in warm conditions and for people like me who are violently allergic to contact with certain woods a level of protection that half face masks are just not capable of providing.

The TH2 P Trend mask and filter spec. ensures that there is a considerably less risk of back flow of contaminants past the face seal when in use.

I had the original rascal 3m respirator some years ago and 3m suddenly stoped making them and the spares for them :evil: - so i bought my current trend respirator but before i did i spoke with a "manager" at trend who assured me that even if they did replace that model they would never stop selling the spares because of the number of customers with them.
lets hope he's true to his word eh :roll:

Cornucopia wrote
i spoke with a "manager" at trend who assured me that even if they did replace that model they would never stop selling the spares because of the number of customers with them.
lets hope he's true to his word eh

Andy@Trend wrote
In UK the AIRSHIELD will no longer be available for sale after February 2008. Spare parts will be available for about one year. Spare filters and batteries should be available until 2010. We will not be able to sell electrostatic filters in Europe after this date, although they will still be available in the USA.

Perhaps they have changed their mind then :?

Yes George,that's just how i and others felt at the time,which is why i put the link back on this post.
I think there are features on the old one which i think i would prefer to be on the new on and vise versa.
It's all for our own good :roll:

beejay":16hc2bhm said:
Mike Bremner":16hc2bhm said:

Hi Mike,
I also use dust mask and glasses but a few days before the brummie bash I had to go to the Doc's as I was having serious breathing problems as well as itching in my nose, ears, eyse and scalp!!! thought the worst.
Turns out Ive got an allergy to something but they dont know what . I reckon my workshop is the root cause ( either that or too much sex maybe?) although I use the Microclene and dust extraction and dust masks etc.
I now want to be as safe as possible so the Trend type mask seems to be the way forward. Ive also had a new outward opening door fitted to the workshop so this should improve the circulation as well. The old inward opening door couldnt be left open due to space restrictions.
I gotta say when you have to fight for breath its a bit worrying :shock: so a couple of hundred for a decent mask seems a no brainer now.
Only wish Id gone for one before.
Regards, Bill

bill,that is exactly what happend to me last month. the cause was,

COCOBOLO

yes i am 100% sure cos all i was turning was cocobolo. the iching and scratching went away after a week, using nivea moisture cream ( and dont bloody laugh ) hope this helps you.

Andy@Trend wrote
In UK the AIRSHIELD will no longer be available for sale after February 2008. Spare parts will be available for about one year. Spare filters and batteries should be available until 2010. We will not be able to sell electrostatic filters in Europe after this date, although they will still be available in the USA.

I know nothing about the specifics of this, but that sure sounds like some more ''barmy eurocratic legislation'' is preventing the item & spares being sold, rather than the company withdrawing it ... especially when it / they will be available from outside the EU.
Or have I read too much into it ? :?: :?

Hiya all you Bashers, I have the Powercap for 8/10mnts now. I wear specs. and have no problem fitting the power cap . But then of course we Irish were never as Bigheaded as you Brits, :D :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: REgards Boysie

Latest posts

Back