Trend Airshield

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been living with my Trend Airshield in the workshop for a couple of weeks now and thought that others may be interested in this piece of kit. It may have been reviewed elsewhere on the forum and if it has, then apologies is advance.
My initial reason to purchase was after reading various posts on the dust hazard in our 'shops. I already have four extractors (2 x WV100, chip collector for the Kity 439, and and ambient air cleaner) to handle this menace and the Airshield would be the last line of defence at a personal level.
I ordered the Airshield complete with the Woodturners package, which included spare filters and battery etc from Power Tools Direct and the package arrived within 3 days.
After careful reading of the instruction manual :roll: the batteries were put on charge overnight and I manipulated it onto my head, tightened the adjusting band at the rear and switched on. Instantly there was a very pleasant draught of moving air across the face.
Initial thoughts then are these, in no particular order:
Pros:

1. Marvellous at a personal level to keep the fine nasty stuff away from the tubes
2. The filters can be cleaned with a hoover (not sure if this is recommended) outside the workshop, thus extending their life
3. No fogging up of the face visor or specs
4. Comfortable to wear for several hours at a time
5. Vision not impaired through the visor nor distorted by it

Niggles, but not serious:

6. The weight distribution means that it slips forward slightly after a while, which means readjustment of the adjustment headband
7. If the headband is tightened too much, a slight headache results
8. A constant low pitched noise in your head from the motor
9. The battery charger takes a long time to charge (14 hours for a 4hr battery use), which means that you need to think ahead or you may get caught with a situation where you have a burning desire to get into the workshop but have got two flat batteries.
10. If you have and itch on your face you can't scratch it easily,but by far the worst disadvantage is that its impossible to drink a brew through the visor :lol: :lol:

In conclusion, a very good and worthwile piece of kit, which does takes a little getting used to. After unlocking the workshop and turning off the alarm, the first thing I do is to put on the Airshield and the last thing I do is to take it off, but I make sure first of all that the extra battery is on charge - Rob

Very similar findings to mine. It is worth getting a
second battery as it does run out at the most inconvenient times.

It has one major down side though - my wife has discovered it works for my really bad hayfever and she now has me cutting the lawns for the first time in ages as it protects me from the grass and pollen. As I now have an acre and a third to cut, the battery never quite lasts till the end. For years I have avoided all lawn cutting duties. Damn you Airshield!

Rob H wrote:

It has one major down side though - my wife has discovered it works for my really bad hayfever and she now has me cutting the lawns for the first time in ages as it protects me from the grass and pollen. As I now have an acre and a third to cut, the battery never quite lasts till the end. For years I have avoided all lawn cutting duties. Damn you Airshield!

Mentioned this tale to SWMBO in passing over the odd glass of vino or six; sympathy - nil points - Rob

Latest posts

Back