Tree structure query

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulH

Established Member
Reaction score
When faced with a felled tree trunk, I understand that it is necessary to split the tree down the middle through the pith before using any of the wood.

However, when dealing with branches is it necessary to do this? (Basically I'm wondering if I can use branches approximately 4-5 inches in diameter to make small end grain boxes without ending up with a "hole" in the middle!)

I hope my question makes sense....

Thanks,
Paul.

I've tried it - and depending on the state of the branch, if it's 'sound' it's possible - but that centre stuff is very soft, and the resulting pot looks wierd !
- that was with a flat topped lidded box, if you were to do a 'Raffan' style domed lid I reckon you'd definitely run into problems.

I don't see why they wouldn't make good spindles for say a Table lamp, where a slightly 'mushy' centre could be a distinct advantage when long hole boring.

Chris.

Paul the main problem with keeping the core in any log, be it main stem or branch is that the core/pith area is likely to split on you as it dries.
I have had this happen with a couple of large pieces that I turned green and after a while the cracks closed up again as the rest of the wood dried out, I was just lucky.

Branch wood is usually also subject to even more unbalanced stress movement as it dries due to the natural offset of the growth rings.

It is a case of try it and see, a lot depends on the species of wood and whether it was dead whilst still standing.

The Rule to neutralize the core/pith area is the definitive one in most cases, but like all rules it gets broken from time to time without any dire consequences.

It depends on the wood, type and state. If it is something like beech or some other close grain wood you should be OK as long as the centre is sound. I turn bowls, boxes and goblets end grain and as long as the wood is in ghood nick to start I have not had any other problem than my own skill level :oops:
Tuyrned this way you havwe the advantage odf the grain running along the box which ia stronger thamn across it.

Pete

Latest posts

Back