Mulberry tree - wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okeydokey

Established Member
Reaction score
In the next few months a Mulberry tree in next doors garden will be felled to make way for a house extension, trunk diameter is about 30cm to about 1.5metres high then it branches (Y shape).
Ive never used Mulberry so is it worth picking up and turning? But wait ?? years?? for it to dry or can you turn it green
Any ideas please
thanks

Thanks Phil will do, trouble is they are awaiting planning consent which maybe end May so perhaps available July when it will be in full bloom

Turns really good and makes great tool handles. Also a really good wood for archery bows if thats of any interest. I used a bit for the handle of my vice.
P1010001.JPG
Regards
John

Definitely get what you can and as above make sure to seal the ends as soon as you can. I've got quite a lot of mulberry stacked up, but it was felled and cut into too short lengths and had been just lying around for several months before I got it, so I've got lots of cracks and splits - how much of it is usable remains to be seen, but I fear not much.

But if it's properly protected and seasoned you should get some lovely pieces out if it. It has an unusual yellowy colour, at least when freshly cut. This is the only piece I've tried making so far from my stock.

Good luck!
PXL_20220225_102554148~2.jpg

A lot of talk about turning this wood, is it suitable for ripping in to planks and building items with?

The wood starts off yellow/mustard colour and darkens considerably over the next few months to a less appealing dark brown colour.

It can be turned green if that floats your boat.

Back