Treatment of hardwood exterior door cill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scholar

Established Member
Reaction score
I am slowly renovating some windows and french doors - everything is painted except the cill for the french windows which has been left unfinished. The woodwork is rather overdue for repainting (after about 15 years (!) - the cills are, I am guessing, Iroko (?) and the unfinished cill appears unfazed by being left untreated. It is a bit scruffy and i am sure it will clean up - I am just wondering whether it would benefit from some oil or other finish to maintain it.

Here is a picture of the untouched cill (this is on a first floor in a fairly exposed coastal location and has a balustrade bolted to the cill and surrounding masonry):
C9E8015F-7FF0-41AA-9793-36A073CA06B1.jpeg

and here is an adjacent window cill which will be repainted, but may help to identify the wood):
71F84872-EFBE-4675-A37C-64CA604189A9.jpeg

Does anyone have any views on adding a finish to the french window cill?

Cheers

don't know the wood but the rules are any grey to be removed. wipe with acetone or thinners. paint use covers tain or aluminium primer. clear/ transparent woodtain sikkens.

Latest posts

Back