Transporting a bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heimlaga

Established Member
Reaction score
Just by chance I found a secondhand bandsaw locally for a good prize. A Beronius with 60 cm diametre wheels. Manufactured in Eskilstuna in Sweden sometimes in the 1910-s or 1920-ies. In running condition. All cast iron construction except the wheel covers.
I don't need it right now but I will need it further on and the prize is right and the transport distance short so I plan to buy it and put it in storage.

Can I transport it upright on my single axle trailer with 500 kg carrying capacity or do I have to lay it down?
Do I need to rent a bigger trailer?
The distance is 100 km on paved roads with little traffic through a very rural landscape. We will load it using the seller's farm tractor and offload it using my tractor.

I am thankful for all tips from those who have moved a bandsaw before.

I think if you can lay it down it would be better
Or remove the top wheel and tie it on well and drive carefully...no sudden braking or cornering
Do you think it may be less than 500 kg?

Ian

Go to OWWM.org and try "Bandsaw ruckering" or "Bandsaw moving" in their search string. The images alone will show you how to secure it on a trailer with slings. They normally travel upright, but can, with disassembly (table/motor off) be laid on their sides. Some movers have constructed a cradle for the REALLY big and heavy ones, doubt that is the case here.

I moved my 100Kg, 2m high bandsaw by taking the cast base off, then loads of old carpet and sacking between the laid down cast frame and the floor of my trailer. No motor attached, tension totally off as I took aff the saw blade and drive belts. AVOID POTHOLES AND BUMPS - just in case.

Good luck and enjoy.

Sam

heimlaga":240yn7ta said:
Just by chance I found a secondhand bandsaw locally for a good prize. A Beronius with 60 cm diametre wheels. Manufactured in Eskilstuna in Sweden sometimes in the 1910-s or 1920-ies. In running condition. All cast iron construction except the wheel covers.
I don't need it right now but I will need it further on and the prize is right and the transport distance short so I plan to buy it and put it in storage.

Can I transport it upright on my single axle trailer with 500 kg carrying capacity or do I have to lay it down?
Do I need to rent a bigger trailer?
The distance is 100 km on paved roads with little traffic through a very rural landscape. We will load it using the seller's farm tractor and offload it using my tractor.

I am thankful for all tips from those who have moved a bandsaw before.

I can give you the number to the guy who moved my saw from Larsmo to my porch, it was 60 euros incl. VAT, maybe see if he can offer a good deal, would save you a lot of hassle. He has a big truck and all that.

Do you know a furniture maker from Finland called Jouni Heikkinen? he made this,

http://barnsley-furniture.co.uk/Rocking-chair

If you ever get the chance to meet him you should take it, as well as being a great guy he's not a bad woodworker.

Just in case there's any language confusion, I mean he's not a bad woodworker in the same way Ronaldo is not a bad footballer!

Back