Dewalt DW3401 bandsaw replacing bearings on bottom wheel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodpr

Established Member
Reaction score
My Dewalt DW3401 bandsaw ground to a halt (motor hums but blade won’t move) so I took the blade off and found the lower wheel was really hard to turn. I am pretty sure it needs new bearings and I have ordered a pair from Tools and Parts Direct but I am having trouble getting the wheel off so I can change the bearings. Can anyone offer advice about how best to tackle this? The axle has a hex slot on its end (accessible on right side of machine) but I can’t move it and I can’t pull the wheel off the axle. I would be really grateful for advice as to how it should come off so I don’t make things worse by forcing something I shouldn’t! Many thanks for reading this.

Many thanks Triton, From the image of the replacement axle it looks as if there may be a bearing pre-installed on the axle, which might explain the tight fit but I will try a combination of WD40 and patience!
1621962950344.png

Maybe it is, but still no reason you cant remove and fit another.
I've changed literally hundreds of sealed bearing units on bike hubs, and if you open the jaws of a vice slightly, place the spindle between them but dont obviously tighten , a sharp knock with a hammer and softening block should drive the axle out, leaving the bearing sitting on top of the vice.
Take note of the bearing number, it should be on the shield part, if theres nothing measure it and type that into google, it should give you as number for a replacement. SKF and Enduro bearings are of very good quality, expect to pay 5 or 6 quid as a minimum and dont be tempted to buy cheap.

Any probs, just post up and ill see if I can offer any assistance.

Latest posts

Back