Bandsaw Transport

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonridout

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Advice please. What is the best way of transporting a bandsaw in a trailer, vertical or horizontal? It is an Electra Beckum 500, approx 200 cm high, 160 Kg. I would prefer to transport it lying on its side, unless there are good reasons to transport it upright, as it will be easier to lash down securely and will not be extra windage.

Might need to dismount the switch, so some tools for that
Do those have alloy wheels...check'em beforehand if buying.

Table off is a good idea, it'll make things easier for sure, plenty of machines which have broken trunnions because of this.

If doing so by yourself, a thick fence post or the likes,
Screenshot-2022-2-26 Lugging a large bandsaw about.png

underneath the trunnion side of the machine, to make tipping over easier, so it lays on the column. (not quite thick enough bit shown, but you might not need any for your machine)

Get a dolly for moving, doesn't need be that heavy duty, esp if the paint is nice, very very useful.
as you'd chip paint moving upright with pipe. (without table)

This is the important bit, do not place a timber anywhere along the centre of the column,
only do so at the very end. i.e where my finger is,
and not somewhere where the switch might be.
as you don't want yer bandsaw to see-saw.

This is to ensure the base of the machine remains in contact with the ground
from upright to horizontal, to overcome a roll.
That base provides, say 6 inches of stabilization either side of the machine.
Putting the machine on the right of the trailer would reduce risk of that, if putting the light upper end in first.

Use the choks and some carpet, cardboard, jackets, or whathaveyou, to ensure it doesnt get scuffed.

Hope that helps somewhat.
Good luck with the machine.
Tom

Last edited:
Table off and laid down, if it's on its spine then beware of the motor weight wanting to rotate it over.

Thank you for your helpful replies. The use of a dolly for moving it is particularly helpful. I am about to make a mobile outfeed table for my workshop, so the base for this will become a dolly, before the table is finished. Once loaded, I am happy with securing it against movement in any direction, including rotation. One advantage of 22 years in the Royal Navy is knowing how to secure things for sea, believe me, the UK's pot holed roads are nothing compared to South Atlantic gales! It may not be an Electra Beckum 500 but something similar.

As Tom said table off is a must. Found this out the hard way when I got my first full size saw. Those trunnions are quite fragile. My current saw when shipped new came mostly complete (even had the blade on) but I had to attach the table myself.
Regards
John

I picked up a 1939 Walker Turner 16" bandsaw a few months ago and laid it flat in the back of the car. Jeez it was the heaviest thing I've ever had to move...even with two other guys helping, but table removed as others have said.

if u have easy access, use a couple of old DEMOUNTED tyres as suspension /support for ur machine.....
better than being tied solid when laying down.....just a little flex helps a lot....
when moving truck/tractor engines it saves a lot of damage to engine and transport...

As above remove table if you can - I collected one in back of estate car laid it on its side tied it down and broke trunnion as described above so on its back if you can’t take table off

Thank you all for your advice, all very helpful, even if I did leave the table on, I got my bandsaw home yesterday, it is a SCM Minimax S45. I transported it on the spine, strapped against two home made supports, to stop it wanting to tip sideways and straps to stop in moving forwards or backwards. It was very easy for two of us to load onto the trailer.

Sideways and Deema - I have seen your excellent posts on restoration of this bandsaw. While not planning such an extensive restoration, it will help me make sure that it runs and cuts in good order, after I have ordered some new blades.

Simon

Attachments

• IMG_0502.jpg
    IMG_0502.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0503.jpg
    IMG_0503.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 0
Back