Tragedy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its not new.

I'm now a grumpy old git but can clearly remember ( 40 + years ago)holidays (usually on the east coast) where we used to sit watching kids on air beds being blown out to sea when the tide or wind were wrong.

I remember one day at Mablethorpe were it happened 5 times in one day-my Dad. little brother & I had a bet running and my little brother cleaned me out of my holiday money!.

Also frequent sand hole collapses - every year.

This did not happen to us because my parents heeded the warnings for the common sense they were.

Then they expect some one to risk their neck rescuing them.

Roy.

Smudger":27k91858 said:
How much does a sign cost?

How many signs would be needed to cover all possible acts of stupidity? Would a thousand differing signs stop people from doing things that they should know are not sensible? Would they even read them? If they read them would they take any notice?

Lets be honest, signs don't work - if they did no-one would speed, cross a level crossing, go the wrong way up a one way street etc etc etc

I'm all for sensible education and signs for non obvious hazards, but I don't think anyone is being fooled now. The only reason we put so many signs up is in response to insurance companies trying to reduce litigation.

How many road signs are there, and how many are ignored by people who KNOW BETTER, leading to several thousand people being killed or seriously injured EVERY year.

Dennis

Maybe it's the thought that it'll not happen to me.

Last week there was a pumping station failure resulting in raw sewage being dumped in the sea off a local beach. The authorities went to a great deal of trouble informing people of the dangers with signs and announcements on local radio etc. but still dozens of people were reported to be ignoring the warnings saying, I don't care, I'm going for a swim.

That is how many many people treat genuine warnings - it's no wonder there is so much scepticism in the world.

regards

Brian

As a foreman in a plastics factory I was also a fire marshal. One day i was walking along a gangway with the exec who was also fire chief when the alarm sounded, being a genius the penny suddenly dropped this isn't a practice!
I raced into the injection shop just in time to usher the last of the women out through the fire door. Behind me is clouds of dense black smoke and I find myself fighting to keep one of the ladies out who wants to get back in to collect her flipping hand bag!

Roy.

Digit":3voiz5xf said:
one of the ladies who wants to get back in to collect her flipping hand bag!

Roy.
I think I can beat that. Six or seven people to be rescued from the front of a burning hotel. Two of them are brought down a ladder from the second floor. The ladder is re-pitched to another window. The fireman at the head of the ladder is about to get a lady onto the thing when she ducks back into the smoke in her room. "What is the matter?" he asks, "I will help you climb down, there is nothing to worry too much about" (apart from the other folks who need rescuing!)
"I can't go down there unless I put me knickers on!", says she.

You just can't fathom some people!

Another job - very similar situation with multiple ladder rescues and some clown of a guest hands out her suitcase which she wants the fireman to take down for her. "Give it here" he says. He takes the case, yells "Stand from under" and throws it to the ground three floors below - smalls and clothing everywhere!
"Now get on this bloody ladder, or I'm leaving you here" he says. She came down, meek as you like!!

SF

Tragic as this case is, it is my belief that accidents like this are as a direct result of our current "nanny state" attitude to health and safety.

Because people are now so used to being told what they can and can't do, they no longer have any common sense when it comes to their own safety.

If you go back 10 years or so, the parents in question would have probably had the common sense to work out that digging through sand was not the smartest option (kids are different). Now, because they are so used to being warned about every little hazard, they assume that if there isn't a sign warning you not to do it, that it must be safe, and tragedy ensues.

Sadly, having gone this far, it is rather becoming a one way street, as if you take down all the warning signs, there will be a couple of years of carnage while the less "risk aware" individuals get taken out of the community by fatal accidents.

Gary

I don't know if that is correct or not, but I do find that people today seem to be lacking in common sense.

Roy.

My experience is that common sense is paradoxically the least common of the senses.

I travel to London every day, and every day I watch someone (it's a different someone) try to jam a suitcase 8" wide into a gap 7" wide above their head. Then when they do manage to precariously wedge the case in, they sit beneath it, and are surprised when the said case bounces off of their forehead (my favourite bit :twisted: )

You'd think there would be a sign!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That would at least guarantee an empty seat when I boarded. Go for it! :lol:

Roy.

Back