Tragedy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digit

Established Member
Reaction score
A 15 yr old boy has died on a local beach after tunnelling into a sand dune, which, predictably, then collapsed and buried him.
Equally predictable is the response of the local 'do gooders', who are demanding that 'signs warning of the dangers' should be erected.
I agree, and they should make them double sided with the reverse stating, 'Danger! This sea is wet and can cause drowning!'
Is it just that I'm old and crotchety, I dunno!

Roy.

There are 23, (at last count) items of road 'furniture' in one mile of road locally. What do they all say? I do not have a clue! And I'm too busy keeping my eye on the road to stare at them long enough to read them!
One that I have read, and gives a very poor impression of the intellect of those who fit the these things states, 'BLIND SUMMIT' on the approach to a hill top.
No dung Sherlock!

Roy.

Digit":3mezc8eh said:
There are 23, (at last count) items of road 'furniture' in one mile of road locally. What do they all say? I do not have a clue! And I'm too busy keeping my eye on the road to stare at them long enough to read them!
One that I have read, and gives a very poor impression of the intellect of those who fit the these things states, 'BLIND SUMMIT' on the approach to a hill top.
No **** Sherlock!

Roy.

But how many different languages are they in :evil: :D

Some sort of warning might be useful. It seems likely that the kids were just unaware of the danger.
According to a local PC I saw on TV the sand is very loose when dry but holds well when wet. They dug into the wet sand without realising how quickly it would dry, and it was that which caused the collapse.

It's still a stupid way to die, though.

I probably should stay out of this but I see the same sorts of things around here. It is unfortunate and sad that a kid lost his life digging a tunnel in the sand. I doubt a sign would have saved his life though. Well, perhaps it would have done if he'd taken it off the post and used it as a support in his tunnel.

I think this sort of reaction is a knee jerk thing by people who somehow think the government needs to take responsibility for preventing every bad thing that happens.
:roll:

I agree - I don't mean to sound unsympathetic...loss of life is always a tragedy..But there does seem to be a continuing move away from individuals taking personal responsibility for their own actions and wanting to blame someone else...

It is a regrettable fact the tourists here have a rep for stupidity and a no all attitude
Last week, some may recall, a man drowned whilst swimming with his son and ignoring the warning flags. His body was brought ashore in full view of other swimmers also ignoring the warning flags.
Many may a remember a similar tragedy to today's reports with the death of a three yr old girl.
Beach wardens were then employed to point out the obvious, then withdrawn when one was assaulted by a tourist who better than the warden.
Each summer our local rescue forces are busy rescuing those who know better, or recovering their bodies.

Roy.

It's the generation problem as much as anything else Timmo. I don't know about this lad in particular but what is typical is that these youngsters have never played out doors, have no idea of any dangers and commit themselves to what should seem blindingly obviously a danger.
One recently tome stoned in a fast flowing river straight of the hills, the cold caused him to have a heart attack.
Even a simple walk along the cliff paths is too much for some, we had a woman killed a few weeks ago and another had to be recovered suffering from dehydration.

Roy.

Where were this child's parents? You would of thought they would of been keeping an eye on him due to all the the other dangers we are warned about like pedophiles etc or are they so stupid not to know the dangers of digging in sand :eek:

It appears people have very short memories as already stated about the 3 yr old who died in similar circumstances. It is very sad that these things keep happening but why should signs have to be put up to warn of things that should be known to be dangerous, common sense seems to have been lost somewhere down the line.

Maybe just one sign should be used everywhere 'THINK'

Whilst I have sympathy for the family it does sound like a great deal of stupidity was to blame for this death, not the lack of a sign telling them not to do it. Had there been a sign would they, or others, have taken any notice of it?

knowing our local council, thousands. It would start with hiring a company to work out the design, someone to check whether the wording was legal, etc etc get the picture?
And the way the sands shift around here keeping them upright in the storms would be a night mare.
Even our local road signs are attached to two poles to prevent them bending under the wind pressure or spinning around.

Roy.

that's the trouble these days

bring back the 'linesman' :) phone him up - ask him to put a sign up, the next day it's done and has cost nothing more than a half a days wages !

And he'll keep an eye on it from wind and vandal damage !

Back