Traditional tanged spokeshaves.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi swagman,
I have a number of oldish tanged spokeshaves, the most recent of them being a Kangaroo brand from about teh 1970's. Without examining all of them I would guess that most have a curve built in to the blade. This of course means that the 'mild convex camber' can be honed easily on a flat stone.
By the way I find it easier to sharpen by holding both tangs in one hand, thumb and first finger, and running the blade along the 'side to side', or tang to tang.

xy

xy; I took some measurements this morning.

The length of cutting edge for this spokeshave blade is 3 inches.

After a fine set has been applied to the spokeshave blade, the length of exposed cutting area is reduced down to 2 1/4 inches.

The depth of cut at the mid point of the exposed cutting area is about 0.2mm. From each side of that mid point, the depth of cut reduces as a result of the applied convex cambering.

The height of convex cambering was measured at 0.8mm with a steel rule.

I also checked the flat of the blades surface near the cutting edge, and it has a slight convex curve of 0.5mm.

As you will note within the following 2 photo's, I have more than 1 tanged spokeshave.

regards Stewie;

imo the beauty of applying a convex cutting edge to a traditional spokeshave lies in the ability to feather the depth of shaving without having to continually adjust the blades set.

Stewie;

I had a quick search in the workshop for the left over nos tanged spokeshave blades. The one I wanted to find has a massive 4 inch long cutting edge x 3/4 " width. I did come across this much smaller size nos blade, that has an 1 1/2" length of blade.

Stewie;

Back