Toy Boat WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speeder1987

Established Member
Reaction score
So yesterday I started making a toy tug boat for my partners nephew and I thought I would put together a WIP. The boat design is from the following book and the design seems relatively straight forward

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2305715.Making_Heirloom_Toys

The boat is going to be made from a piece of sycamore I've had lying around for a while, with the mast and chimney made from some walnut as contrast.

The first stage was to resaw and dimension the sycamore which I did by hand, hopefully I will only need the thin part:

Resaw.jpg

In order to cut the rebate needed I printed out and glued a copy of the top down plan onto the wood. This meant that I would be able to position the rebate correctly and then cuto out the outside hull

plan.jpg

I then started cutting the outline of the boat on my bandsaw, however after doing one pass I realised I should have routed the rebate first, for the maximum stability for the router. So I stoped cutting the outline and routed the rebate. I hogged most of the insde out with my power router:

routed.jpg

And then cleaned it up with chisels and my stanley router plane:

cleaned.jpg

I then proceeded to cut the ouline with my bandsaw

cutout.jpg

Finally I sanded down the sides of the hull and most of the top except for th back, as there is still a marking on the paper there where a hole needs to be drilled:

hullfinal.jpg

hullfinal2.jpg

Hopefully I will finish the other parts this evening

Cheers
John

Attachments

• Resaw.jpg
    Resaw.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 3,036
  • routed.jpg
    routed.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 3,036
  • plan.jpg
    plan.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 3,036
  • cleaned.jpg
    cleaned.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 3,036
  • cutout.jpg
    cutout.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 3,036
  • hullfinal.jpg
    hullfinal.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 3,036
  • hullfinal2.jpg
    hullfinal2.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 3,036
Right, i've almost completed the second part of the cabin:

So I used the same approach as before, I stuck the plan to an offcut from the hull

planTop.jpg

I planed the back of the cabin to give a nice finish as I won't be able to get to it very easily once its stuck to the lower cabin, the quangsheng block rebate plane makes easy work of this:

endgrainplane.jpg

I then stuck this to a second offcut

glueupTop.jpg

The blank was then to size and then cut the curve on the bandsaw

blanksGlued.jpg

topCutOut.jpg

This was then sanded

TopSanded.jpg

Finally the first couple of portholes were routed. I will do the final four tomorrow, its getting a bit late and I don't want to disturb the neighbours!!!!

cabinDrill.jpg

Finally a picture of what the tugboat will look like, its starting to take shape:

assembled.jpg

All I need to do now is the cabin roof and the final four portholes. Then the chimey which I will turn on the lathe from ebony, and then three masts which will be from walnut.

Still undecided whether to paint a couple of the parts such as the cabin roof to give some contrasting colours

Cheers
John

Attachments

• planTop.jpg
    planTop.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 2,914
  • blanksGlued.jpg
    blanksGlued.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 2,914
  • endgrainplane.jpg
    endgrainplane.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 2,914
  • glueupTop.jpg
    glueupTop.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 2,914
  • topCutOut.jpg
    topCutOut.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 2,914
  • TopSanded.jpg
    TopSanded.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 2,914
  • cabinDrill.jpg
    cabinDrill.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 2,914
  • assembled.jpg
    assembled.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 2,914
The nephew will love it and want a a whole fleet of them. A good quality oil finish to bring out the grain would be my choice ,you can always paint it after if you dont like the look.

Ohh ships and boats have funnels not chimneys :mrgreen:

MARK.B.":siuc55p7 said:
The nephew will love it and want a a whole fleet of them. A good quality oil finish to bring out the grain would be my choice ,you can always paint it after if you dont like the look.

Ohh ships and boats have funnels not chimneys :mrgreen:

Yeah that's what I'm scared of!! I've got some hard wax oil which I'm planning to finish it in. I think I will go for the using just wood as opposed to paints, maybe just a little bit of colour for the cabin roof.

Although we adults probably prefer the natural grain, I think children would appreciate vibrant colours

John

adidat":23sspugw said:
Random Orbital Bob":23sspugw said:
Does wip stand for work in progress?

yes!

nice idea!

adidat
Thanks, I can't take credit through, was reading the book above and just thought this looked brilliant!

waka":23sspugw said:
Going to be a nice looking boat
I hope so, I'm more than happy how's it come out so far :)

andersonec":23sspugw said:
Next one will be life sized John, then you'll be off down the Avon.

Andy
Don't tempt me andy!!!!! :p

John

Time for the next update, I managed to get some work done on the boat today.

I started by making the roof out of a piece of 8mm maple. I cut it on the bandsaw and then sanded it smooth

Roof.jpg

The roof was then glued to the cabin. The next part was to turn the masts and the funnel. The funnel was turned out of a piece of ebony (sorry forgot to take a picture), but it was turned to a 3/4" diameter.

The masts were turned out of two figured walnut pen blanks. The masts bodies were turned to a 1/4" diameter. These are the smallest items i've ever turned, but they came out ok.

mastTurned1.jpg

mast-turned.jpg

The two smaller masts were turned on the same blank

smallMastTurned.jpg

Finally the holes were routed and the boat dry assembled

assembled1.jpg

assembled2.jpg

Now I just need to sand everything down to a higher grit and then finish. Hope your enjoying

Cheers
John

Attachments

• Roof.jpg
    Roof.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 2,543
  • mast-turned.jpg
    mast-turned.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 2,543
  • mastTurned1.jpg
    mastTurned1.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 2,543
  • smallMastTurned.jpg
    smallMastTurned.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 2,543
  • assembled1.jpg
    assembled1.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 2,543
  • assembled2.jpg
    assembled2.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 2,543
Sorry its been so long, here is the photo of the finished boat, in the end I applied two coats of hard wax oil. This was a really fun project to make and would definately make it again

Its now in the capable hands of my nephew, and so far it appears to still be in one piece :)

izm9na.jpg

Hope you've enjoyed reading

Cheers
John

Back