Totally flat solid Ash exterior door.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seem to remember reading that water wheel paddles were made of elm as it survived very well in water. It is such a shame such a lovely timber is no longer available.

RobinBHM":17axoklv said:
I seem to remember reading that water wheel paddles were made of elm as it survived very well in water. It is such a shame such a lovely timber is no longer available.

I made the buckets on the overshot water wheel at Ilfracombe a while ago, the man doing the metalwork was really clever, it was easy to work to his repaired framework.
The old guys, where I learnt my trade, said elm was ideal for water wheels but after many years immersion it would just crumble away.
I understand that elm is still available, from Scotland, Our local wood yard has some.
Regards Rodders

Sorry Blackrodd, but that heritage guy is considered a bit of a Barry Bucknall in the wheelwrighting fraternity. Ash is sometimes used as spokes (as no doubt other timbers are) but it was never the timber of choice in Britain. Oak has for hundreds of years been used for that purpose because of its ability to withstand the compressive forces acting on the spoke. Elm was always prefered for the hub because of its resistance to splitting. I currently have several sets in build so will upload some photos when I get the chance.
Meanwhile have a look here horse-drawn-vehicle-t55166.html This vehicle has a set of cut down Trap wheels of around 100yrs old with Oak spokes and new Ash felloes .

Max Power":x934hzln said:
Sorry Blackrodd, but that heritage guy is considered a bit of a Barry Bucknall in the wheelwrighting fraternity. Ash is sometimes used as spokes (as no doubt other timbers are) but it was never the timber of choice in Britain. Oak has for hundreds of years been used for that purpose because of its ability to withstand the compressive forces acting on the spoke. Elm was always prefered for the hub because of its resistance to splitting. I currently have several sets in build so will upload some photos when I get the chance

MP,
I'm Looking foreward to seeing the pics, I have always found this everyday stuff of yesteryear very interesting!
Regards Rodders

Latest posts

Back