Tornado brand cutters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeilO

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi fellas,
Has anyone had these routers cutters(bits) from "dare I say" Rutlands?

I want to get a small collection of profiles to extend the use of my routing, but not being a Pro cant really justify ££££ for the CMT offerings although I would like too.
So, has anyone bought/used these cutters and would you say they are reasonable for the price, understanding you get what you pay for, but read above....

any help would be great

Thanks in Advance

Neil,

I've got the raised panel set and a few other separate cutters and I've got no complaints. Don't know how they would stand up to every day use I'm hobby use only.

Have you looked at http://www.wealdentool.com/. I think quite a few on here buy from there, me included.

HTH

Steve :D

I've been using them for a few years and the sets in particular offer good value for money. Otherwise, I use Wealden for individual cutters. The only Tornado cutter I've ever broken was a 1/4" straight cutter with a 1/2" shank... :oops: Even that was after three-years of use and, to be fair, I was cutting a bit too deep when it went 'pop'!

I also find their bearing-guided cutters are much safer to use in a table than many of the cheaper brands. It's something to do with the cutting angle on cheap cutters, which makes them liable to snatch and kickback... :? Not with the Tornados, though. :)

I have quite a few of their cutters including the rail and style, raised panel, and stair case set, and I have found them to be very good.

Cheers

Mike

Cheers fellas, thats what I wanted to hear...

Steve, Like you its just Hobby use and I cant justify £70 upwards on 1 cutter, but wanting to buy a "set/s" rather than indavidual cutters I saw them as a bargain.

Olly, thanks for reinforcing my thoughts of being a bargain, like I said £70-80 on 1 cutter or a "set" not being a pro and just hobby use I know where my money is going..And I wouldnt worry about breaking tools Olly, I managed to snap a 3/4 roughing gouge on my first lathe venture :shock:

Mike, Ditto above :D

now to persuade SWMBO that I NEED them. :lol:

Another vote for Tornado, I have a great bearing guided cutter that I've given some real hammer

I think they are very good value for the money. I have quite a few and have had no problems although only used in a hobby environment.

John

Back