Tormek T7 honing wheel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stocksy27

Established Member
Reaction score
hi
recently bought a tormek t7, the honing wheel seems to be staying quite dry no matter how much paste i put on, did oil it first when it was new but not absorbed the past, any one have any suggestions?

You should re-oil it with a mineral oil but go sparing. The worst thing you can do is overoil them and then have to wash it to get it back to square one. The honing compound will eventually condition it if you use enough, but the oiling prior to that is a cheaper way of getting it to the supple stage you want. Just do it a little at a time, hone something and see then again more if its not enough but never put lots on in one hit before a trial.

Hi

I must admit I've never dressed mine with anything other than the honing compound, yes it dries but it doesn't seem to affect the performance.

If I were to dress it I think I'd go for Vaseline or something similar

Regards Mick

I was told baby oil was good (and smells lovely) but not sure of the science behind this (although has done a good job for my Jet machine)

S

Simon, baby oil is a light version of liquid paraffin or mineral oil, with a nice smell added. So that's why that would work.

You also might be putting too much of the compound on given your comment. When I first got mine I put way too much on and it just dries on the surface rather than impregnating the leather. I use a pea sized ball when I add more compound to the main wheel. A few drops of oil helps to work it in.

I made a paste for my old tormek wheel using powdered jewellers rouge and vaseline. It stays wet and puts a really nice finish on tools. Only downside is it does leave residue on the tool but a quick wipe with a paper towel and solvent soon solves this.

Back