Top Tip When Using Buffing Wheels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vic Perrin

Established Member
Reaction score
KEEP A GOOD HOLD OF THE WORK PIECE

:roll: Vic :roll:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 1,004
Bet the neighbour got a shock, sunbathing in the garden and get hit on the side of the head with a wooden bowl!

Everyone learns that the hard way at sometime, also when buffing keep any edge down so that the wheel passes it on the down stroke that way it wont catch.

Another tip if your lathe is near a window cover the window with a strong wire mesh screen.

john

jpt":3tnl2oon said:
Everyone learns that the hard way at sometime, also when buffing keep any edge down so that the wheel passes it on the down stroke that way it wont catch.

Another tip if your lathe is near a window cover the window with a strong wire mesh screen.

john

Wished I had of thought of that about 1/2 hour ago !

:oops: Vic :oops:

wizard":24yj45a4 said:
Needs to be running away from you
Disagree, makes it very difficult to see the edge contact area with most pieces.

But the rotation direction discussion is a none starter if using the Chestnut system as It won't function in clockwise (reverse) rotation due to the standard 8mm fixing stud mountings. (other systems and mounting methods may differ)

If you are holding the piece at centre or just below as is usual, having the wheel running away from you is asking for an accident IMHO. As well as being hit if it happens. As Vic has found out, generally the piece will be pulled away from you and so not hit you unless you are using the top of the wheel which is definitely not advisable.

Pete

Good News I have replaced the window only cost £2 for a bit of glass. There is nothing wrong with the system I have polished loads of stuff with no problems. It boiled down to being my fault not taking due care as I normally do.

Lesson learnt !! ,

Vic

gregmcateer":bs76patu said:
Vic,

Why were you polishing the windows with a buffing mop!?! :lol:

Glad no injuries, (except pride, maybe)

Greg

Greg the irony about it all was that I only cleaned the bloody windows a couple of days ago

Vic

Vic Perrin":1eq4thxg said:
gregmcateer":1eq4thxg said:
Vic,

Why were you polishing the windows with a buffing mop!?! :lol:

Glad no injuries, (except pride, maybe)

Greg

Greg the irony about it all was that I only cleaned the bloody windows a couple of days ago

Vic
Vic get rid of them pit glasses

Ha, exactly the same thing happened to me today (minus the glass) and I was holding it right i.e. below centre with the wheel running in the normal direction, a moments lack of concentration though and a fraction to little grip, Whamo! a weeks worth of effort went for a high speed trip around the worshop via every hard object it could find, broke one piece and well and truly scratched chipped and dented the rest.

I just went indoors. No turning for a day or so I think.

He wasn't polishing the windows with a buffing mop, he was polishing them with flying bowls but it seems their three point turn was a bit off. :)

Back