Tools of the Decade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
matt":364ngato said:
Cheaper versions of the Fein multimaster. I've got the Bosch corded one. It's one of those tools that I don't use often but it's often the only tool for the job on occasion.

By Jingo you're right! How could I forget my Worx SoniCrafter - amazing piece of kit!

Mike Garnham":3dtx4sy4 said:
dchallender":3dtx4sy4 said:
digital vernier - I have my original which cost me a fortune when I was an apprentice, but now you can get them for £10 I'm an engineer what can I say :roll:
Darren

Darren, as an engineer you know that there is no such thing as a digital Vernier!!!

Call me pedantic if you like, but calipers (or micrometers) are either digital, or they are mechanical and based on the Vernier scale. Not both.

Mike

Mike yes you are right they are digital calipers - often referred to as 'a set of verniers' by fitters, used as for accurate measurement instead of a ruler :lol: I'm just glad I never mentioned that when I was in the navy they came in handy as a very accurate adjustable spanner :shock: :lol:

devonwoody":28lkxfnw said:
Nick, we are very high tech. on this forum.

Certainly are! I'm impressed. I haven't been able to fine a Worx Sonic Rafter (as I'm sure it should really be known), except on Amazon, at the moment. I'll have another look when I get a moment.

Nick

dchallender":10vmj0i1 said:
I'm just glad I never mentioned that when I was in the navy they came in handy as a very accurate adjustable spanner :shock: :lol:

:lol: or that the other end comes in just right for opening cans of paint - assuming that there isnt a chisel within reach ;)

Nick Gibbs":ahrrv1sa said:
devonwoody":ahrrv1sa said:
Nick, we are very high tech. on this forum.

Certainly are! I'm impressed. I haven't been able to fine a Worx Sonic Rafter (as I'm sure it should really be known), except on Amazon, at the moment. I'll have another look when I get a moment.

Nick
Would this not be similar to the sonic screwdriver used by a certain Dr? - Rob

woodbloke":1xsjr0u8 said:
Would this not be similar to the sonic screwdriver used by a certain Dr? - Rob

Oh bxxxxx! That's what I meant, not Star Trek. A Sonic Rafter is very similar to the Sonic Screwdriver, but is kept in the roof of The Tardis in case of emergencies.

Shame on you guy's using such a tool for those purposes although I have a real good pozidrive screwdriver that is the best paint stirrer ever.
I've been here before thinkin its was only for tools and made my favorite suggestions, but the best product to become widely used and a must in a workshop over the last number of years is surely polyurethane glue. Not to exciting but very sticky!

FrCollins":193qo84g said:
The best product to become widely used and a must in a workshop over the last number of years is surely polyurethane glue. Not to exciting but very sticky!

You mentioned a brand of polyurethane the other day, Francis. John Brown always used to swear by Balcotan, and then Titebond and Gorilla Glue came out. Has anyone compared them? I'd like to do a test soon.

Nick

devonwoody":36et4uur said:
Now there a tool thats much overloooked a battery screwdriver with modern bits some of the latest are super.

noit to mention the power impact driver - okay so they existed before the naughties but the cost of quality ones has dropped

also what about the sandpaper based sharpening systems, pro edge - scary etc

Poly glue is horrible stuff which I'll avoid at all costs. TBII & III does most of what I need and epoxy takes up the special circumstances.

wizer":1eyxv9sk said:
Poly glue is horrible stuff which I'll avoid at all costs. TBII & III does most of what I need and epoxy takes up the special circumstances.

I agree in many ways. However, when testing the Jet 22-44 drum sander recently at Axminster I was working on a panel glued up with Titebond 3. The glue worked superbly, but took ages to remove with the drum sander. And it wrecked the abrasive. PU adhesive waste is much easier to remove by hand, and then doesn't clog up abrasive so much. It is also fantastic if you are planning to carve or cut through the glue lines as it doesn't abrade the tool edge.

Nick

big soft moose":1i9kct2m said:
also what about the sandpaper based sharpening systems, pro edge - scary etc

Yes, good thinking, that is! Don't forget the WorkSharp 3000 either! :wink:

Another suggestion I had was with regards to the HSE regs. and European legislation. :twisted: ...I'm serious!! Without all the legislation on braking and run-down times, all of these new 'affordable' machines manufactured in the Far East (the ones that get people in to woodwork as a hobby), they simply wouldn't be as safe to use as they actually are when used correctly.

Just a thought really, a mere rambling :lol: Lot's of interesting discussion about 'tools of the decade' which is fair enough and nothing wrong with that at all. I was just thinking that we haven't yet had a replacement 21st century tool for the humble saw tooth. Forget not that the ancient Egyptians used toothed saws to cut wood and it t'were the Romans who first had the idea of sticking a chisel in a block of wood to make the first planes. If replacements could be found then that really would be two 'tools of the decade'
It's similar in a way to all the refinements that have taken place in the internal combustion engine over the last century, so despite what's under the bonnet in a Veyron...it's still a 'suck, squeeze, bang, blow' unit in much the same way that a saw cuts with a sharp triangular point and has done for the last 3000 years and will probably do so for the next 3000.
All tosh probably :duno: ...but a thought - Rob

What's a plasma cutter?

Rob: I remember sitting at the Cologne Tool Show 15 years ago thinking exactly the same thought, that saw teeth had hardly changed for centuries, and surely there must be a better way! There've been refinements (progressive tpi at the tip for starting cuts, etc...), but not much else.

Nick

Back