Tools 2005-The Thursday Report

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Philly":3jsqew9s said:
Thanks for chatting away at the show-it was great to meet you!

Likewise.

Philly":3jsqew9s said:
P.s. Doh=dah is a calander. Forgot to ask for mine

I didn't :D but I did drop my new LV catalogue in the bath before I had even opened the thing :cry: Its drying out by the fire (but if it doesn't work can I beg another please Rob?)

Also thanks to the Brimarc team - all of whom (that I talked to) were really helpful and knowledgeable. I hold you responsible for my finances!!

MikeW":3jsqew9s said:
Maybe if the financial gods choose to smile upon me again in the future I can finally meet some of you all.

How about if you find a US tool manufacturer and tell them that you know a whole bunch of woodworkers in the Uk and that there's a show in England that their brand is under represented at and that you could get a load of sales from this huge bunch of woodworkers....... repeat until they give you a case load of stuff to bring us and a free airline ticket. :wink:

Cheers

Tim

:( well people after a long time being a gypsy with out a work shop it makes me cry buckets, reading this post. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
But this is about to change, while you guys and gals where drooling over new :tool: and bits and bobs :-({|= awwwww poor moi !
I was out spending too much money on what will be ( I hope) my final workshop.
I amnow the pround owner of a wreck of a building with a reasonable shed and a very big garden. :eek:ccasion5: If I could remember where I post my photos I would do so.
So Alf you'll have to update my frapper location.

Also, if there are any volunteers here to help in the building of a 150m2 STRAW WORKSHOP please sign up here.Beer and board supplied nowt much else.

All the best from HS in Niedersachsen Germany.

Gill":1whbpqhy said:
I suppose it'd be too much to hope that anyone got a chance to look over the Axminster AWFS18 fretsaw :?: [-o<

Still, I'm pleased everyone had a good time and managed to escape with lots of booty. It's great reading about the show, and I only wish I could have been there.

Gill

PS Chas - didn't Di want to go along? I do hope she wasn't put off by the reprobates at Stoneleigh.

She was there Gill but is better at keeping out of the frame whilst chatting at the meet.

houtslager":xr8lrhcg said:
I amnow the pround owner of a wreck of a building with a reasonable shed and a very big garden. :eek:ccasion5: If I could remember where I post my photos I would do so.
Good news, HS. You used to use ukwoodworking on MSN for your pics didn't you?

houtslager":xr8lrhcg said:
So Alf you'll have to update my frapper location.
Just enter yourself again in your new location and I'll delete the old one when I'm next passing through.

Cheers, Alf

I had a great time meeting up with lots of you folk for real instead of in cyber space. I enjoyed having tickets for two days. I did not have to rush anywhere and went back round on Friday to look at things I did not think I had done justice to on Thursday. I came home with quite a collection of stuff, not that I am a c*ll#ct£r of course.
Dscn3927s.jpg

Yes there are two T3 routers, but one is not for me, honest.
I did pick up a selection of Trend guide bushes, metal ones from the £1.50 sale bin.
I don't have a Tormek, but I did buy a hand full of the accessories, I have a cunning which I will be posting once the tuit is obtained.
I must thank several forum members for greasing The Slope TM, don't think there is any hope of seeing the top again.

Dscn3896s.jpg

A big thank you to Rob, he did not seem keen to don the headset but once he got started it was great. A quick tour of the plane making and then a view of the prototyping of the planes and just like Alf I failed to photograph any of them.

One thing not shown in the picture of my spoils, a LV LA jack, of to Santa, I know it’s coming but it does not stop the excitement, yes I am a big kid, and should I care? I hope not.

I have some more pictures that I will post over the day or so of some of the competition entries.

tim":2m3tc9og said:
MikeW":2m3tc9og said:
Maybe if the financial gods choose to smile upon me again in the future I can finally meet some of you all.

How about if you find a US tool manufacturer and tell them that you know a whole bunch of woodworkers in the Uk and that there's a show in England that their brand is under represented at and that you could get a load of sales from this huge bunch of woodworkers....... repeat until they give you a case load of stuff to bring us and a free airline ticket. :wink:

Cheers

Tim
:lol: Hi Tim...I've tried to weasel my way across the water, trust me. Guess I'll have to find another way to get there.

It looks like everyone had a great time meeting up and talking with the powers that be. That's what I am most envious of.

Take care, Mike

Hi Mike

We've got it all wrong here. We should all go over to Florida and meet up with you at that small woodworking show that's held, iirc, every September. :roll:

Cheers
Neil

Thats an idea, a party of dudes from UK having a good time in Florida and a tool show in addition. You can get fly drives to Florida for £99. and I know some wrinkles, to cut the cost of the car hire part. Mind you I thought the big show was Atlanta?

Crumbs, Dave, I hadn't realised quite how much you'd accumulated! You got the files okay I see. Still a little too much Normite stuff in evidence, but I think we have you sliding securely now. :lol: It was really nice to have a good natter, and thanks so much for giving me a lift back. =D>

DW, you'll never pursuade a tool manufacturer to pay for you to take that trip... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Bit late - but not really been back at my computer until now. It was a good show - quieter than the preview day last year which was good. I still wish they could bring back the presentations to the small lecture room they have there. Poor Rob was jammed into a small booth and I have to admit my legs were tiring by the end of his talk - I'm not as young as I used to be ;).
Agree that the Japanese woodworker was impressive - it made me really doubt my purchases - were yet more clamps necessary when he only used his knee?!
I picked up lots of useful goodies and it was great to meet you all again (and some new faces).
pict13773ga.jpg

Cheers
Gidon

I really enjoyed the show this year, met loads of new faces. I will defiantly be going to the preview day again next year.

As mentioned we had a great turnout on Thursday. Thanks again to Terry for letting us all meet at his place. I did think for a second “OMG what have I created?” :twisted: :lol:

Sorry I didn’t make the meeting on Friday. By the end of the show on Thursday I was so knackered I decided to miss Friday’s show and we went to Exmouth in the morning and then straight on to Worcester for the weekend.

I have just found a couple more pictures of the japanese woodworker, I stood with Chris and Tim watching in wonder at his skill.
Dscn3904s.jpg

Here is that square in close up.
Dscn3907s.jpg

the second half of the joint being cut, seeing the sawing action that close was interesting.
Dscn3910s.jpg

And I could not get over the socks he was wearing, good job the HSE were not about. I don't think my knees or toes would cope with working like that.

DaveL":1ph5pzlt said:
And I could not get over the socks he was wearing, good job the HSE were not about. I don't think my knees or toes would cope with working like that.

Hey, that's how I work too! The floor makes a wonderful workbench. The only difference is that I don't wear socks; just the flip-flops. And if I did wear socks, they wouldn't be white :roll: .

Gill

Back