Toolbox suggestions?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jelly

Established Member
Reaction score
Inspired by Jacob's mention of making a tool box in the "10 hand tools for beginners thread" has anyone got a design of toolbox that they really rate?

I'm doing quite a bit of volunteer work for a couple of different organisations at the moment (essentially working as a fitter for my own amusement) and need to find a better solution for carrying tools than one or more flexible plastic tuff-buckets.

Figure I should probably make a toolbox or tote to suit my needs, wooden or welded construction are both options, but I'd prefer wooden just because of the relative ease of construction.
If anyone can suggest a sturdy, large but good value (not necciarily inexpensive, but ideally so) model to buy, I'm open to that... But most commercial models don't seem like they'd cope with the weight of the stuff I frequently use.

Amazing! I just googled "joiners tool box" image and got my very own! Posted it up before in the Grimsdale days! This subject comes up a lot!
It's basically the brief case pattern which is very handy for carrying in one hand (on site up and down stairs etc).

box3.jpg

I was doing some tidying up on the hard disk over the weekend and these happened to be among the images I filed away, they're old but might be of some use:

0qxvMne.jpg

VzIp3Wk.jpg

Much more modern, there's also this one from ShopNotes 116:

zN5keAT.jpg
oPpXLDj.jpg

7RH2SUa.jpg
67u9mqS.jpg

uhpGtHm.jpg
rGKTY3J.jpg

If you'd like to delve into the subject more deeply I can highly recommend Jim Tolpin's "The Toolbox Book". Chapters 8-10 onwards cover various on-site boxes, totes and other portable storage options.

The joiners toolboxes look somewhat adaptable to my purposes, which would arrive at something halfway between one of those and an oversized toolmaker's chest.

The box Graham suggests looks alright, but I suspect would be awkward to store certain items in (24" stilson and my big micrometer being the chief culprits there), that's what put me off the "barn type" metal toolboxes.

Having spent over 30 years lugging a tool box from site to site (originally 2 x canvas bags over the handlebars of a push bike), the weight of a wooden one puts me right off. Hard enough carrying the tool weight, without another 5 kg or more of wood.

Then theres the cost comparison of wood price versus a £20 plastic one.

OK for a project I suppose, but I wouldnt ever use one.

As lurker says think light for a site tolbox, so do you really need to be carrying your big stilson and micromenter round with you ?

I don't do site work but I'm a massive fan of a jobs lot so I've got two like jacobs, bloomin heavy and they just sit at the back of my big wide benches full of stull I really should sell. They work really well at stopping things rolling down the back.

Another point is security if you are doing site work, so less is more. I fettled a worthless Rapier no.4 and its the one I use if I ever work on reclaimed timbers, up ladders or in the front garden.

G7,

Think I'd go for something like this, airport suitcase idea on wheels/ trolley idea. Think I've seen some plastic ones a lot cheaper, this is a more expensive metal one but you get my drift.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Velleman-Meta ... 1076001008

Might be allright if you have a van but in my hatchback it would be a pain lifting it in and out.

No sure how long the tool box is Jelly, I'm pretty sure I keep a Bacho 244 in there with no issue. Agree with the others on weight issues too!

There is a entry under "ToolChest" Datedq 15 October 2016 which has a couple of photos on y two part tool case which maybe of interest. Sorry I have no idea how to post a better reference to it.
Mike.

Bog standard cantilever or barn-type metal toolbox, but just for the smaller stuff (spanners up to about 3/4" Whit, adjustables, screwdrivers, pliers, a few wedges, cold chisels, ball-peen and lump hammers, small pry-bar). Big stuff (like 24" Stillies) stays in locker, car-boot or tool stores and is taken to the job only if needed, as does anything 'precision' like mikes.

After 25 years of lugging a five-tray cantilever toolbox about, one day a week voluntary work rebuilding old steam engines, it's just about falling apart with worn out rivets, so the barn type might last a bit longer. If you can find one in heavier gauge metal than usual, so much the better for longevity - but you don't need much in it before it becomes too heavy to carry about, so only take the basics to start with.

(For woodworking, the joiner's type has much to recommend it, especially if made the right height to act as a substitute saw horse. Same problem though - pack too much in it, and you can't lift it up.)

Yes I had one many years ago for use on site (early sixties) easier to carry than a tool case and only used for first fixing type jobs and roofing work. A man who used one regularly was easily recognised by the fact that all the sharp corners of his tools had been rubbed off by them constantly moving against one another in the bag. Not a great method but if you are cycling or walking between jobs it's easier than a suitcase type box.

Cheshirechappie":2psjqqhi said:
Bog standard cantilever or barn-type metal toolbox, but just for the smaller stuff (spanners up to about 3/4" Whit, adjustables, screwdrivers, pliers, a few wedges, cold chisels, ball-peen and lump hammers, small pry-bar). Big stuff (like 24" Stillies) stays in locker, car-boot or tool stores and is taken to the job only if needed, as does anything 'precision' like mikes.

I know you're right... But it frustrates me to end up with the large/delicate items floating around in the car, the problem being that I frequently do work where I need those slightly oddball tools, and am awful at keeping stuff organised.

I suppose what I need is several boxes, sized to all fit into one van-safe type tool locker (or a large ammo box)... So I can keep it all together, but only one "toolbox" so as not to force myself to lug stuff I don't need about.

One toolbox to rule them all, one toolbox to find them, One toolbox to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

Pete

Back