Tool history. An early brace.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richarnold

Established Member
Reaction score
A fellow forum user (known to you and me as toolsntat) wanted to know why I hadn't posted anything about an early wooden brace I found some time last year. Well just for you Andy, and anyone else who's mad enough to fall in love with wormeaten old bits of beech, here it is.
018_zps618e9e1e.jpg

017_zpsa574c2bb.jpg

019_zpse87c7063.jpg

012_zps71615601.jpg

009_zps798630c6.jpg

This is a very early button chuck brace which possibly dates to around 1750-60. Rather than being made of brass, the chuck is made of iron, and bares the makers mark "Ryley". This is reputedly by the maker John Ryley of Birmingham.. the rest of the brace is made of beech with a boxwood turned plug which holds the head in place. The only other braces by Ryley that i can find any record of are in the Colonial Williamsburg collection, and it is interesting to note that all three braces are made of different materials. The two at Williamsburg are made of Oak, and walnut. This has led me to think that John Ryley was perhaps just a supplier of iron goods, rather than an actual brace maker. One other reason for me thinking along these lines is that I had a feeling I had seen the Ryley stamp somewhere before. A few weeks ago I remembered where.
026_zpsb5201f19.jpg

040_zpsb675afa1.jpg

200_zps2e3991a6.jpg

It was on the depth stop adjuster of an 18th century plough by William Wheeler of Thatcham.
The depth stop itself is interesting in that it is made from two pieces of iron dovetailed together. Nearly all depth stop posts are made of brass fitted to a steel shoe.
All in all it looks as though Mr Ryley was at the forefront of tool design in the 18th century. If anyone spots his stamp on anything I would love to hear from them.
Cheers Richard

Fine stuff there Richard....it really must be amazing holding something a quarter of a millennium old!! :shock:

Does that mean that these two date from the same time? The plough has had a better life methinks...looks almost new!

Thanks for sharing...and yes...I am one of those nuts! :oops:

Jim

Ace, Richard =D> =D>
By the way, nice looking brace 8) 8) :mrgreen:
Who would have known it would be this special =P~
Proves the Devil is in the detail of these wonderful tools.

All this has the making of a good book for the future "toolies" of this world....
But in the meantime
http://richard-arnold.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks
Andy

Just noticed the adjuster may be somewhat later than the chuck owing to the deterioration of the stamp lettering "R and Y" :?:
So did he come up with the concept of casting brass brace chucks with steel liners?

Andy

Quite fancy for an early brace - very nice.

If you look at some of the braces IN USE in 1900's high wymcombe you'll see what I mean - they were much cruder.

BugBear

That's interesting. One reason for saying that is that I don't know very much about wooden braces. Would I be right in thinking that that example was probably meant for relatively small holes? The smallish throw (about 8"?), and lack of plating to strengthen the short grain just seems to suggest that it wasn't intended for holes much bigger than about 3/8" or so - pre-boring for nailing, that sort of duty. A sort of 18th century fore-runner to the egg-beater drill, if you like.

I think you are right. For larger holes you see in old paintings these big drills with a t-handle at the top. Avegaar in Dutch, but I don't know the English name.

Like this, but the old ones were more like a spoonbit.

resolve

Just a couple of points raised. The plough is proberbly of a similar date as the working dates for William wheeler, and his son are 1760- 1780-, but it is unsure how much longer his son may have continued the business for. It must be said though that the plough is in exeptional condition considering it's age. The brace actual feels surprisingly strong in the hand and size wise it is the same sweep and length as an ebony ultimatum from the 19th century. Having said that the top web has cracked at some time in the past and has been repaired with screws. It would be interesting to try it out to see how it would perform, but I think it's proberbly to historically important to risk it. I do have a 19th century brace with a brass chuck that is badly damaged so maybe I could make a replica just to see what it would be like to work with.
By the way the English name for your tool is quite similar. It's known as an auger. I wonder if the name originated from the continent?
Cheers, Richard

Back