Tool cupboard advice/ideas

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

throbscottle

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to make a wall mounted tool cupboard. It can be 2 or maybe 3-at-a-push feet wide and something over 3 feet tall. It's to go on a garage wall. Depth is limited by the potential to bang my head on it (I'm clumsy). I quite like the idea of doors that have a deep frame so they can accommodate stuff. Possibly aslo put a shallow drawer on the bottom for the bitty bits.

It's to accommodate quite an eclectic toolkit, there's not much that's just for woodworking, there's mechanicing and metal-bashing sharing the space too. I don't intend to put tower pools in there, too bulky.

So, thoughts/advice/ideas/photos would be most welcome as I'm at a bit of a loss over this.

Thanks in advance :)

These are mine for my lathe tools & Proedge belts

66FD4270-F3DB-4149-BCB2-51988B3712A9.jpeg

641B5B57-DAD3-40F3-9751-E4969281FC10.jpeg

F33C65B1-9E79-4E7C-800B-23FEAB8DE962.jpeg

Just dovetailed frames with a rebate for backs & door fronts, nothing special just practical & handy.
There are magnets behind veneer that hold the lathe chisels in position.

My dad had one for metalworking tools. Spanners hung on the insides of the doors and the door fronts were painted in blackboard paint. These days I'd suggest using a couple of metal whiteboards for the door fronts. You can write on with a marker pen and stick up notes with magnets.
At least some whiteboards are two skins of metal with foam or honeycomb between. You can just cut that to size with a tracksaw dialled down slow.

Doug - those are so nice! I like the hidden magnet idea. Have you found your turning tools have become slightly magnetic?
Sideways - great idea with the whiteboards. I never thought of magnetting up my notes either!

Back