Tonight - Ch4 - One man's Spitfire renovation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
delete me.png

Could be interesting.

Attachments

• delete me.png
    delete me.png
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,272
Very good. The two daughters were well impressed and sad all in one. Pilot quoted that it's the best that has been re built. Great to see. Just one I noticed in watching what a perfect text book landing. :D

One question I have is, why was Guy firing an 20mm canon at a car. The mark one's had 4 303's on each wing. Or have I not read my history right. By the Mark V the 20mm canons were fitted. Anyway great watching.

I did wonder about the cannon as it did state the MK1's were fitted with the .303's. I suppose the 20mm was more of an awesome sight for the cameras. :roll: Really enjoyed the program and am a big fan of Guy's. He actually works very close to my timber merchants and one of the yard guys often speaks to him. Great character and very funny. :D

A little bit of "license" taken with the gun I think. He was firing a .50" calibre machine gun which if it did come from a Spitfire would have been a Colt Browning which was fitted to some later marks. At least one squadron of Mk1b Spits were fitted with the 20mm Hispano canon but were so prone to jamming they were soon withdrawn and the gun not seen again until the Mk5c arrived. The armament fitted depended on the wing type and by far the most Mk1 aircraft were fitted with an A type wing and carried 4 .303 Brownings in each wing. The later "universal" type wing could accept either or a mix of machine guns and canon. Some of these would have been fitted with the gun he was firing. I'm no gun expert but that is my understanding of the general Spitfire development, I'm sure many different "fits" were tried in experimental airframes.

A really interesting programme, thanks for pointing it out. Reminded me of a prize I won as a fourth year apprentice which was to ground run a Mk16E Spit - what a day.

Keith

An enjoyable watch but I sensed it was new build rather than a restoration of Geoffrey Stephenson's Mk 1 dug out of the Calais sands. Nonetheless great aviation engineering skills.

hanser":1pmf3h2h said:
An enjoyable watch but I sensed it was new build rather than a restoration of Geoffrey Stephenson's Mk 1 dug out of the Calais sands. Nonetheless great aviation engineering skills.

When Salvage Squad (fun series) did an Autogyro aircraft regs meant they replaced "rather a lot" of apparently OK bits with new ones.

TBH, that was another nearly-new-build.

BugBear

Back