Tongue and groove soffit project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fobos8

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Next week I'll be fitting some external T & G soffits for our roof. Its 15x95mm softwood which will be knotted, primed, and undercoated with Dulux Weatherseal 8-year on both sides.

My question is about how tight to make the T & G joint. If I push the tongue all the way into the groove and the timber shrinks across it width - no probs. However, if it expands it will buckle. Do I push it in then pull it out a bit? What is the standard practice for fitting this stuff. The soffit overhang is about 400mm in most areas although near the front door its about 1 metre.

I wasn't planning to put a groove in the facia board to soffit to go into. Instead I plan to stop them 3mm short of the facia to create shadow gap.

Fixing wise I plan to use a Paslode brad nails.

Kind regards, Andrew

P.S Don't be fooled by the adverts on TV saying Jersey is the warmest part of the UK. Its bloody freezing!!

Andrew

Assuming your timber is acclimatised to the 'general' outdoor levels of humidity I don't think you'll have a problem with movement -just don't try to fit the sections too tight or too loose. You might however get a problem if you intend to use timber that comes from a B&Q shed where its been sat under a hot air blower for the last 3 months. If the latter unpack the timber and leave it in your garage/shed for a few days before you start the paint process.

Back