Toes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dick under your circumstances Id be very careful. I had a friend with diabetes who lost his toes , then his foot and now his lower leg. I would get some thermal socks and boots pronto

Alan Jones":7nkfpiy3 said:
Dick under your circumstances Id be very careful. I had a friend with diabetes who lost his toes , then his foot and now his lower leg. I would get some thermal socks and boots pronto

That was my second thought, and why I've stayed out of the workshed for the rest of the day. I think that walking would be OK (it has been up to now), but it's standing in one place for an hour, basically, which caused the problem.

Also my BG levels have been erratic due to an infection, so double whammy.

It's quite surprising how much diabetes impinges on your life. I would advise anyone not to get it - not a joke - lose weight, be active, eat healthily. I had the warning signs and didn't take enough action to prevent it.

Smudger":wl3g86ae said:
Alan Jones":wl3g86ae said:

That was my second thought, and why I've stayed out of the workshed for the rest of the day. I think that walking would be OK (it has been up to now), but it's standing in one place for an hour, basically, which caused the problem.

Also my BG levels have been erratic due to an infection, so double whammy.

It's quite surprising how much diabetes impinges on your life. I would advise anyone not to get it - not a joke - lose weight, be active, eat healthily. I had the warning signs and didn't take enough action to prevent it.

one would expect chimps to have sufficient hair of their feet that this wouldnt be a problem. :D

joking aside i'd invest in some of the rubber antifatigue matting to insualate the floor and a small oil filled radiator as well as decent boots and socks.

Quite apart from the cold issue those shoes wont be adequate protection if you drop something heavy or sharp on your foot.

I have the matting and the radiator (and to an extent the hair on the feet), and take the point about the shoes! But they have been with me for a long time, even if the soles are almost worn through... I bought them to ease my feet in the 80s.

Just to make things really interesting, I now have Morton's Neuroma, which is a benign tumour between the toes which causes soreness and pain on the ball of the foot and toes. But that's only one foot, so that isn't so bad! It's a bit like a foot ganglion.

Your symptoms sound like chilblains to me. As someone who mountain bikes through the winter I'm familiar with the need to warm up extremities before letting them loose on a hot shower

Not chilblains. Pain! Not itching. Like neuralgia but stronger. After an hour it faded and there are no signs on the toes now, but a short walk outside and some discomfort starts.

I got chilblains once when I was about 11, I cycled over to my grandmother in weather like today with no gloves. My grandma tried to warm my hands up in a bowl of warm water. Agony!

Don't know if it's any use in your situation but might be useful for others working outside in this weather.

Put on a pair of thick socks then put a plastic bag over them then another pair of socks. Oh and don't forget the boots. Stops your feet getting wet and keeps the heat in.

You might want to reverse the procedure in a well ventilated room if you've been wearing them for a while though. :lol:

OPJ":w0kqy79v said:
I've got some 'proper' walking shoes'. They're made by Karrimor and only cost £15-20 from M&M Direct (this was twelve-months ago). Been out with the dog in 4in. thick snow for the past two-days and made feet don't get wet or cold! 8) Although they're not steel-toed, I wear them in the workshop now as they're warmer than my Dickies boots.

You know, I read this yesterday and rememberd that I'd bought some Karrimor walking boots in the sales last year and never worn them! Just spent a few hours in my sub-zero shed wearing them and my feet have never been so comfortable out there! Think I paid £20 for them from some sports shed in Chester. Sports Direct iirc.

In the evenings, I usually go straight out there after work if I've got a project on. That means I'm wearing my steel toed boots. Great for protecting my toes but sod all use for keeping my feet warm. Really hard rubber soles so they make my feet hurt if i'm stood still for a long time.

Lesson identified - lesson learned! :D

hi
a market trader gave me a tip for keeping your feet warm and in good condition (freezing standing round in a market stall all day).
put some vaseline in a plastic bag then put your foot in :shock: then your socks go on top ,your foot warms the vaseline it then warms your foot as well as moisturising it. it does work .hope it helps

Interestingly, yesterday I was varnishing a little table and chairs. I was standing up, moving slightly along the workbench as I did it. Toasty toes, no pain.
Today I was fettling up a plane, sitting in more-or-less one position for an hour or more. Painful toes (but didn't feel too cold).
So clearly it's a circulation thing, and I need to keep moving.

And whoever it was (I'm afraid I've forgotten) who recommended the abrasive rubber pads from Axi - thanks again, they did a great job on that 05½ I bought last week!

(Why do all secondhand planes have pink paint spatters on them?)

There was another tip on the local news last night... Put a pair of socks on, then wrap both feet with newspaper and finally, put a larger pair socks on over that before you shoes!

Anyone care to give it a try? I wonder how well a sock full of wood shavings would work??:D

Back