Toes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smudger

Established Member
Reaction score
Just sharing. I spent an hour in m'shed today, varnishing a little IKEA table and chairs (funny stuff, very nice wood in places, cheapo Baltic ply in others).

It was a bit cold, not too bad (about 5º when I got in, about 9º when I left). To begin with I felt cold, but a bit of effort warmed me up a treat, except for my big toes. By the time I finished I was in quite unpleasant pain.

The shed has a wood floor with an air gap underneath and a rubber mat floor.

I don't recall ever having this before - it took a good half-hour for the pain to fade. Is this an effect of diabetes? Or age? I used to be able to stand in the snow for hours - in fact my feet once froze to the pavement waiting for a bus in Sunderland - but that's a different story.

Yeah. That's what I think, really, though I'd rather not. Not a pleasant thought. I may have to get a warm-air heater to warm up the floor. Either that or restrict workshop time to warmer weather.

I've found my DeWalt boots are good at maintaining a good temperature and insulating me against my concrete floor.

These are the ones I've got. Superb value for money, esp when you compare them to the CAT and Timberland "fashion" boots at >£100!

It could be any number of things. It could just be a loss in circulation from standing in one place for too long. Remember that the end of the foot is a long way for the heart to pump the blood to and if it starts to get cold the first thing the heart will do is cut off the flow to the extremities to ensure that the core stays warm.

If it's any consolation...I don't have diabetes but had to come in from the workshop because I feet are so sore with cold. At 9am the temperature was -9C and, with a Super Ser on, at 11.30am the temperature had risen to a balmy -5C. I don't mind cold but today is brutal.

brendan

matt":17s2z9x2 said:
I've found my DeWalt boots are good at maintaining a good temperature and insulating me against my concrete floor.

These are the ones I've got. Superb value for money, esp when you compare them to the CAT and Timberland "fashion" boots at >£100!

Are you suggesting that these:

DSC_0002-2.jpg

may not be up to the job? But I've had them 20 years!

BMac":1wlkv49k said:
If it's any consolation...I don't have diabetes but had to come in from the workshop because I feet are so sore with cold. At 9am the temperature was -9C and, with a Super Ser on, at 11.30am the temperature had risen to a balmy -5C. I don't mind cold but today is brutal.

brendan

Sounds grim. But I was up to +7º (air temp, admittedly). Apart from the feet I find that quite reasonable so long as I keep moving (as in sanding). Anything over about 12 can get clammy.

I seem to recall that father-in-law has to be careful not to cut his toes too (eg. trimming his nails) so the steel toecaps and soleplate in the DeWalts might come in useful too...

Yes, feet (and keeping them) is a big issue. Stubbing toes is a high risk, too. I've got a pair of big boots somewhere, I'll have to dig them out.

I've just never felt this sort of pain before, from cold. From repeatedly hitting myself with a lump hammer, yes, but not cold.

Diabetes impairs your circulation, thus in cold conditions you (and I) will suffer more from cold extremities.

I never used to feel the cold at all, but since I was diagnosed as type 2 diabetic I have become a real cold fish. :cry:

Yes diabetes is probably the answer for about a year before I was diaged with T2 I would get very cold feet come colder weather for no reason we could find. It was a relif when diabetes was diagnosed and explained a lot of problems.

Since getting down to and maintaining an Hbac1 of 5.8 or less the problem hasnt been so bad but as soon as the weather turns cold I start wearing thermal socks and my winter boots.

Better safe than sorry.

john

Thanks. I think that thermal socks/boots will help, but what worries me is that it was just my big toes. And how painful it was!

Though having photographed my shoes I now realise that my toes might have been damp, which was bright of me!

I've got some 'proper' walking shoes'. They're made by Karrimor and only cost £15-20 from M&M Direct (this was twelve-months ago). Been out with the dog in 4in. thick snow for the past two-days and made feet don't get wet or cold! 8) Although they're not steel-toed, I wear them in the workshop now as they're warmer than my Dickies boots.

If you haven't been tested for diabetes Dick get it done, it's only blood test.
diabetes is the single largest cause of lower limb amputations in the UK.
My wife as T2. Me, I just get Chilblains!

Roy.

Digit":326v7436 said:
If you haven't been tested for diabetes Dick get it done, it's only blood test.
diabetes is the single largest cause of lower limb amputations in the UK.
My wife as T2. Me, I just get Chilblains!

Roy.
I'm Type II, diagnosed about 5 years ago - hence the question!

Cure for Chilblains? I wish!
As many pairs of socks as I can get into my shoes is the best so far.

Roy.

Back