Today's haul from the tip

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NazNomad

Established Member
Reaction score
Our local tip allows you to take anything from the wood-mountain they have there.

Been dry for a few days here, so a good haul. Lots of ¼'' and ¾'' nice quality ply.
Some lumps of CLS, always handy.
Some hardwood drawers.
.... and an ancient Clough & Warren pump organ. Worked perfectly but the softwood insides were virtually powder due to worm.
Not sure what the outside hardwood casing is, but it's nice wood.

tip_a.jpg

tip_b.jpg

It was too big for the car. Should have seen the guy's face when I started sawing it in half. :-D
tip_c.jpg

All cleaned & trimmed.
tip_d.jpg

That number plate photoshop. :D
Good haul Naz.
My tip is run by the SS. T*ssers. Can I have thi.... Nein!

I've just made a jig out of a piece of 3/4" ply from an bit of furniture - I swear when I sanded it and turned the dge I could smell every scent, cologne, aftershave, spray polish and mothball that had been near it in the last 70 or 80 years. The actual ply was hardwood but as good as most birch, though.

^^^^ recycle? My rrrrs. We can't take a thing.

i used to work at the tip! wouldn't believe the sort of stuff i bought home!!

adidat

It's nice (?) when you're cutting up something that has belonged to a heavy smoker for 70 years... BLEEEUUUUGGGHHH.

It's criminal the stuff that gets thrown away.

sunnybob":3hrcgwel said:
That number plate exists and is in Somerset. better watch your back mate.

I know, I had to sell my Bentley but I kept the plate :-D

sunnybob":2l6rm8iv said:

You wouldnt happen to be taling about the 4x4 / rangerover from the camp near ilminster / ilton ?

Dusty":2wazznes said:
sunnybob":2wazznes said:

You wouldnt happen to be taling about the 4x4 / rangerover from the camp near ilminster / ilton ?

I suspect quite a lot of the travellers have the same plate.

That's a good haul, I've never been to our local tip, I should try just to see it I can get any stuff.

I've seen the plate several times over the years, but not for a couple now so dont know the latest car.

At my local tip they'd call the police if they even caught you looking at something useful.

They're very easy going at my local tip, I usually come back with more than I took.

Last time there was an old upright piano sitting there.

Just took a cursory look, seemed to be mainly old crumbling veneer so I left it.

The next day I realised...Ivory....Ebony...

Too late.

Learning is an expensive experience!

Martin.

All goes into big deep containers at mine- not allowed to touch anything!

In all fairness - before they changed things, I think some of the scrap metal might have been going home with some of the staff, just the brass, copper and anything worth a few quid!!

You are indeed very lucky, our local tip doesn't allow anything to be taken away, all old furniture is taken 50 miles away so they can sell it for ridiculous prices, very environmentally I am sure

We used to be able to swap or ask other tip users for stuff of use but not these days, thats progress for you :-(

They also charge for a lot of building materials etc, hence why laybys and lanes are dotted with fly tipped stuff which we then pay to have collected and taken to the tip, where is the sense in that

The contracts to run our local Recycling Centres are won by competitive tendering with the winners having the rights to sell the items.
Anything of value is pulled out and offered for sale.
Decent, useable furniture can be passed to an Erasmus Centre next door where proceeds go to the homeless.

Rod

Our Council-run tip at Aberystwyth will let you have any old fridges & freezers.

I have two large chest freezers to store animal feed and a glass-fronted pub fridge that I sell our eggs from.

They are happy to get rid of them because the cost to recycle something that is 'mixed media' and needs degassing is apparently prohibitive.

Latest posts

Back