To wax or not to wax....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vulthoom

Established Member
Reaction score
Now I know that many people (including me) wax the ends of freshly sawn logs before drying to slow down moisture loss and prevent cracking.

What I was wondering was, should I be waxing the edges of kiln-dried bowl blanks to prevent splits as they equalise to the new environment (i.e. my woodshed) or is this being over-cautious?

if they are fully kiln dried then this shouldnt be needed - after all kiln dried blanks are sold in shops which are (probably) a lot warmer than your workshop.

if however you have dried them yourself in a dehumidifier kiln this may be a sensible precaution depending on their moisture content and the heat in the workshop/woodstore.

also if you wood shed is very damp (which it shouldnt be really) you might want to wax kiln dried blanks to stop them from reabsorbing water.

If in doubt, seal them.
Moisture content is a changing equilibrium dependent on the ambient moisture levels.
Sealing will minimise re-absorption as BSM suggests.

I seal them regardless, had one or two start to open on the endgrain when I did not get round to sealing same day as cut, despite the fact they seemed dry enough.

I cant believe that the vast quantities of sealed blanks on the stockists shelves aren't an indication of the risk factor if you don't.

Latest posts

Back