To build or not to build.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnandp

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I do watch this forum with great interest and do own a very old demel which has very limited use, when my bandsaw is just not capable of fine work!
I see the same old question being asked time and time again... "Which scroll saw should I buy... I want the very best and I only have £2.50 to spend.....!"
mine is a different question. I have downloaded some plans of what seem quite a tidy scroll saw from the web and I'm just wondering with a bit of care would it be possible to build a reasonable saw that will be a lot cheaper than the 100 mass produced yuk that is out there.
Is it possible to build a £300/400 worth machine from wood?

I have tried to see if there have been any builds from these plans but I have drawn a blank.

Any thoughts welcome.

Johnandp":zql13zp4 said:
Hi Guys,
I have downloaded some plans of what seem quite a tidy scroll saw from the web and I'm just wondering with a bit of care would it be possible to build a reasonable saw that will be a lot cheaper than the 100 mass produced yuk that is out there.
Is it possible to build a £300/400 worth machine from wood?

I have tried to see if there have been any builds from these plans but I have drawn a blank.

Any thoughts welcome.

Hello John.
If we could see the plans maybe we could help ?

Sorry folks, I should have said. If you Google search for izzy swan scroll saw you should get a you tube video up.

I built one out of pine and ply which was powered by a 12v r/c motor a while back and it worked okish but was seriously lacking rigidity to the point where I had difficulty keeping the blades in.

It'd have potential though if you substituted hardwood for pine used better blade clamps and upgraded to a 240v variable speed sewing machine motor.

http://www.seafax.co.uk/index.php?id=diy-16-scroll-saw

Col.

Thanks for the replies martin and col. I'm going to have a go at the plans I've got (I think that mikiono's one might be a bit too much for me! )
I would do a build thread but I'm not overly sure there is much interest.

Back