Titebond

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jake":9jv4wgmi said:
I bought a big bottle of it ages ago. I was glad when it ran out. I find it too thick, gooey and sticky for my liking. And it looks like custard. It always felt a bit weird to be spreading custard on my wood. Maybe that's why the brand has become so fetishised though.

Back to the nice pure white evostik and foamy PU for me. That's fine obviously, nothing strange about spreading that on timber.
If it gets old it tends to thicken,fresh TB glue spreads almost like a heavy water,turned on end runs down wood.If it get in the cold for any lenght of time it thickens and will still hold but I just throw it out.I don`t have time to fight old glue.

That may well be what it was and I'm only remembering the end of the bottle, but I don't think so. Maybe it was already old stock when I bought it, though.

Still, in addition to my custard-phobia, I also see no reason to (i) add to my glue-miles and (ii) dent my wallet, by buying US-made glue which is actually just an aliphatic PVA with a cult brand name (and, I thought, prior to your comment, an excess of fillers - custard powder, maybe that's it :idea: ).

And a cold room is no place for glue it kills it faster then anything else you can do to it.Better to just throw it out if it gets that bad.I use TB but buy in smaller amounts unless I have a big project coming along,I transfer to a smaller bottle some of the glue so my open time on the big bottles are small.And I use the smaller bottle to work with.

It hasn't been mentioned yet, but the TBIII has greater heat resistant properties than the other Titebonds. Also, the expected shelf life is ONE year. There is a little stamped code near the neck of the bottle. The first numeral is the year and the first letter is the corresponding month.
for example: "8d234" That batch was made in 2008, April. The '234' refers to manufacturing plant location--or somesuch.

doorboy":1ymsu82m said:
It hasn't been mentioned yet, but the TBIII has greater heat resistant properties than the other Titebonds. Also, the expected shelf life is ONE year. There is a little stamped code near the neck of the bottle. The first numeral is the year and the first letter is the corresponding month.
for example: "8d234" That batch was made in 2008, April. The '234' refers to manufacturing plant location--or somesuch.

Now there's some useful info!

Thanks

:lol:
I've followed this thread from the start and have been wondering why nobody has mentioned the reason that caused me to change to TB.
I found that the 'white' glues produced black stains on certain hardwoods.
Has nobody else found this?

Roy.

I haven't. What woods, what sort of 'white' glue were you using?

The yellow colour is just colourant, you know. The aliphatic just means it is a cross-linking type of PVA, like any PVA with an exterior D3 rating ... just or more common in white.

If you want to buy enough, you could get it in purple, green, pink, whatever!

http://www.flexotechnologies.com/pages/wood.htm

Can't remember the brand now, and the timbers were 'Mahogany'.
They stained black from the glue over run.
Not had the problem with TB 2 or 3.

Roy.

There ain't no magic in them bottles - not that I'm saying they aren't good glues, but so are loads of other makes, that's all.

I reckon your 'white' glue was of the bog standard 'interior woodglue' D2 non-cross-linking type, as they are reputed to leave stains on some timbers.

I think its worth paying a good price for a good make to ensure you are getting more PVA and less water and filler, and its worth buying a D3 cross-linking type (and I always do), but beyond that... it's just brand-names.

Back