Titebond UK low stock levels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ps.harris80

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

Just been looking at the Titebond.co.uk site to order some glue and noticed they were showing out of stock for most of their common glues, Titebond 1 & 2, their Hide glue. Their PU glue. Their laminate glue plus some others all out of stock.

Anyone know what going on.

Are they in trouble or have they been left short due to a massive rise in the popularity of their glues after the rise in the number of people taking up carpentry during lockdown. Or something else.

Thanks for any input on this.

Paul

I've converted to EverBuild adhesives for several years now ever since I bought some titebond and it was very near the end of shelf life.

Their 502 (d3) and D4 are excellent and much cheaper. Not needed to try their PU yet.

All seem to be readily available on eBay as well, although obviously at a higher price, I was just wondering why their UK supplier was in such short supply, which would normally indicate a problem somewhere, unless they have always been like that.

Myfordman thanks for the reminder about Everbuild, I had forgotten about them, I used their PU in the past with good results, especially their 15 minute version, will have a look at their other glues as well.

It may be due to the GBP exchange rate, coupled with import duties and the comparative size of the UK market for those products.
There are lots of unusual influences in trading these days.

Titebond is over priced in my view. Plenty of good PVAs available for much less.. I like Bison PU; has a relatively long open time and does not foam excessively.

Jim

Couldn`t get any Titebond 3 for a bit a few months ago so I set an alert on Axminster to email me when they got some. There was obviously a container waiting somewhere, its probably just the same again.

Ollie

I haven't used titebond in about 5 years now, no joint has failed yet, white PVA is just as good and has a longer open time, and much cheaper.

I've had no problems sourcing Titebond but there can be gaps in supply for some of their products. I substituted Everbuild 502 (D3) white pva for titebond II a few years ago and it's every bit as good. One thing I note about TBII and that's it and TBIII have relatively short shelf lives. I had a tub still within 6 months of purchase last year and a large panel I'd laminated actually came apart after the glue failed, something 502 hasn't suffered from. Kept from freezing or getting too warm, it seems to be good for 12 months, another point in its favour. Generally, I think that the big brands have been hiking prices up unrealistically for basically the same products over the last few years. The pva with a large African animal on the front is a prime example! (as are TB glues) but our exchange rates have been largely responsible for some of those rises.

I've just googled Titebond II, there appears to be plenty about, but now about £5 more than the last I bought. RDG Tools seem to be the best priced, although there is some on 'The River' about £1 less & about 6 miles away from me (but no transport available), 'free' postage without the usual rip-off £20 minimum order.

Just bought some cold press TB way cheaper than anywhere else from Interhire Power Tools:

https://www.intertoolsonline.co.uk/search.php?query=pva&page=1
I think as there's such a variation, either some traders are being greedy and simply hiking prices as inflation rises rather than selling at their usual mark up based upon their purchase costs or have plenty of stock. This seems to be applying across the board for materials. I've seen prices for 18mm Birch ply (AB grade) vary from around £95 plus vat to more than £150 plus vat!

Just bought some cold press TB way cheaper than anywhere else from Interhire Power Tools:

https://www.intertoolsonline.co.uk/search.php?query=pva&page=1
I think as there's such a variation, either some traders are being greedy and simply hiking prices as inflation rises rather than selling at their usual mark up based upon their purchase costs or have plenty of stock. This seems to be applying across the board for materials. I've seen prices for 18mm Birch ply (AB grade) vary from around £95 plus vat to more than £150 plus vat!
Sorry, cannot agree with you, I just looked on their site, put a 16oz TBII in basket :- £7.58 + £6.77 post + £ 2.87 VAT = £17.22. Amazon £11.44 inc. post. RDG £12.52 inc. post.

It will always be dearer to buy small amounts from places with flat rate postage like this but for the Cold Press glue in 3.8 litres it was the cheapest I could find. Amazon is charging £57 delivered. I paid £10 LESS delivered from Intertools ;).

Amazon do better rates for TB2 and TB3 but not for the cold press glue. I tend to buy the smaller amounts from amazon. If you want a better deal for bulk orders of TB2 and 3, Restorate is your best bet imho. £54 delivered for TB3 from Restorate and £44 for TB2 in both cases for 3.8Litres. (free shipping on orders above £50)

It will always be dearer to buy small amounts from places with flat rate postage like this but for the Cold Press glue in 3.8 litres it was the cheapest I could find. Amazon is charging £57 delivered. I paid £10 LESS delivered from Intertools ;).

Amazon do better rates for TB2 and TB3 but not for the cold press glue. I tend to buy the smaller amounts from amazon. If you want a better deal for bulk orders of TB2 and 3, Restorate is your best bet imho. £54 delivered for TB3 from Restorate and £44 for TB2 in both cases for 3.8Litres. (free shipping on orders above £50)
Sorry, it looks like I missed your point, as I'd not come across cold compress glue. My mind was on TBII, which I use mainly for model ships, so I only buy one as required. Despite others saying they've known it to 'go off', I find it keeps well, but then it's stored indoors in a cabinet.

My fault, I didn't clarify which one I was comparing initially! Yes, in small quantities, I always buy from Amazon. Every so often I need another small battle to use as the applicator which is principally why I buy the odd small bottle but I get through a lot of glue in a year, possibly a drop in the ocean to larger businesses but still several gallons or more.

Latest posts

Back